Pet store without UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevzLight

I'm really just sharing, but I had a baby beardie from petsmart that used the correct lighting, but he ended up being very ill when I got him. Long story short, he had to go back because I couldn't take a sick beardie anymore (he saw a vet provided by petsmart) and I didn't really trust petsmart after that. I went ahead and went to a more local exotic pet store, with local breeders for their beardies. The beardie I have now, is pretty healthy looking, but I noticed they only had heat bulbs, and I asked them how long they are in there for, and they said a few months. I asked them why they didn't use UVB bulbs and they replied with that they don't need it if they are getting enough calcium in their diet. Is this true? Because I ended up buying a beautiful bearded dragon from there, and I feel as if they should be using UVB anyways. I have a 10.0 UVB bulb and I dust the crickets anyways, but I feel as if they should be using it anyways.

P.S. Their beardies were so much healthier, and bigger than Petsmart. I couldn't believe it!

cfjustin

Hatchling Member
UVB provides proper calcium absorption, using calcium alone isn't sufficient. Keep dusting him and keep using the UVB :)

SevzLight

Original Poster
Yeah, that's what I figured as well. I kind of wish they wouldn't do that, because that can increase bone diseases I believe in the ones they have there.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
UVB allows them to synthesize vitamin D3 which is necessary for calcium metabolism. Some calcium supplements have D3 in them. I wonder if the store is assuming the D3 in the calcium supplement is enough? While it maybe that some baby dragons don't exhibit symptoms of deficiency, realistically it's not nearly as good as UVB light and may not be adequate at all as they get older.

I Wonder how they keep the adults?

Jacqqui

Great that you noticed this.

Why don't you go back and let them know what you have found out about that. Like maybe take the care sheet from here and show it to them. Just because the breeder did a great job with the babies doesn't mean that the shop knows what they are doing and that the babies will continue to do well under those conditions.

It helps to educate people about the right care. The first Dragon I got was from Pet smart and I didn't know he was really sick until after the 14 day return period. I kept him but it was a lot of work initially getting him healthier.

I'm glad you were able to find one from a breeder. I have had much better luck with well treated babies from breeders who know what they are doing.

Take care

Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom