Pet store told me they don’t need much water- mouth open

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoTaco

Good morning :)

I’m always concerned about her and if she’s drinking enough water but then I remember what I was told “they live in the desert and don’t need much water”. Are there other ways to hydrate or cool her off? My daughter and I were using a spray bottle and misting her for some time but she doesn’t seem to like it. Yesterday, she was sitting at the top of her rock closest to the lights- and had her mouth open pretty big and stayed that way for a little while. I’ve seen her yawn and open her mouth but never for this long. What does this mean? Is she panting? Thanks in advanced :) !!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes and no.

It is true that the natural range of bearded dragons can be very dry (arid) , closest analog to the climatic conditions that comprises most the natural range of bearded dragons is arid grasslands/savannah dry woodlands , very little actual sandy desert in Australia's interior.
Also there is very little flowing or standing water for most the year and often for periods of 10 years or more there can be no rain to speak off for most the natural range bearded dragons

therefore

the prime sources of moisture for wild bearded dragons are
>>> insects and smaller animals they catch
>>> eggs found on the grown or dug up (belonging to other reptiles and other dragons)
>>> carrion
>>> leafy herbs and flowers and fruits when available ( this is a very scarce food source for most the year except when there has been a down pour)

Sometimes in the NORTHERN WET SEASON ( ie October to April) if a tropical low penetrates the interior , the humidity will be high enough for a mist to form in early morning hours before first light and this will result dew to from on grasses and plants and dragons have been known take advantage of the adhoc unpredictable droplets before they evaporate.

Some beardies will drink water dripped onto their snout / nose when it channels to their lips if they are thirsty enough. Dragons will not adsorb moisture via the vent or their skin, only way water gets into a bearded dragon is via it's mouth.
Your dragon is probably not appreciating the cooling effect of the water mist sprayed onto it when it evaporates off his skin (any more than you'd appreciate a very cold shower)..

I do not have water dishes in my beardie tanks , but I do give my dragons live insects daily (including my adults) , and try to offer as part their daily diet silkworms and gut loaded / well hydrated crickets and I try to get them to eat some fresh greens too (none of my dragons are keen on the green stuff).

If the dragon is getting live insects and fresh leafy greens and veg daily , it will be getting sufficient hydration .

RoccoTaco

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":nmygrzyj said:
Yes and no.

It is true that the natural range of bearded dragons can be very dry (arid) , closest analog to the climatic conditions that comprises most the natural range of bearded dragons is arid grasslands/savannah dry woodlands , very little actual sandy desert in Australia's interior.
Also there is very little flowing or standing water for most the year and often for periods of 10 years or more there can be no rain to speak off for most the natural range bearded dragons

therefore

>>> eggs found on the grown or dug up (belonging to other reptiles and other dragons)
>>> carrion
>>> leafy herbs and flowers and fruits when available ( this is a very scarce food source for most the year except when there has been a down pour)

Sometimes in the NORTHERN WET SEASON ( ie October to April) if a tropical low penetrates the interior , the humidity will be high enough for a mist to form in early morning hours before first light and this will result dew to from on grasses and plants and dragons have been known take advantage of the adhoc unpredictable droplets before they evaporate.

Some beardies will drink water dripped onto their snout / nose when it channels to their lips if they are thirsty enough. Dragons will not adsorb moisture via the vent or their skin, only way water gets into a bearded dragon is via it's mouth.
Your dragon is probably not appreciating the cooling effect of the water mist sprayed onto it when it evaporates off his skin (any more than you'd appreciate a very cold shower)..

I do not have water dishes in my beardie tanks , but I do give my dragons live insects daily (including my adults) , and try to offer as part their daily diet silkworms and gut loaded / well hydrated crickets and I try to get them to eat some fresh greens too (none of my dragons are keen on the green stuff).

If the dragon is getting live insects and fresh leafy greens and veg daily , it will be getting sufficient hydration .
Thank you very much for taking such time to explain a whole lot! Ok, no more misting (I feel bad now lol) We give the crickets these store bought gels that they get their hydration from- I guess that’s ok. We coat them in calcium powder before they are given- they look like albino crickets. We’ve discovered now that she doesn’t so much go after ones that aren’t white - picky much? LOL I think she can see them better this way? Anyway, Bought spinach yesterday and going to try introducing it more. Had a pet store employee also tell me that if they aren’t eating greens - you can feed the crickets the spinach and they get the greens through them- skeptical on that. Pretty much skeptical on most anything they tell us anymore. This is the best informational website :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
RoccoTaco":1221uzyx said:
kingofnobbys":1221uzyx said:
Yes and no.

therefore

>>> carrion

Thank you very much for taking such time to explain a whole lot! Ok, no more misting (I feel bad now lol) We give the crickets these store bought gels that they get their hydration from- I guess that’s ok.

<<<< those cricket quencher gels are just water crystals (like people mix with potting mix to give plants a drink , and that's all they are good for .... crickets eat the gel , lizard eats lots of crickets with gel in their guts , over time it accumulates and either causes a blockage in the lizard's gut, or cancer and makes the lizard very sick or kills it.
Long and short of it - don't give that rubbish to the feeder insects - essentially if you wouldn't eat it , don't feed it to the insects/ pet lizard.
Best way to hydrate insects is to give chunks of fresh carrot and fresh leafy greens.

\We coat them in calcium powder before they are given- they look like albino crickets. We’ve discovered now that she doesn’t so much go after ones that aren’t white - picky much?
<<< the calcium dusting only needs to be light, not caked on. Essentially just enough so they look dusty and if you drop one on a table it leaves dusty impression.
More is just wasteful.

LOL I think she can see them better this way? Anyway, Bought spinach yesterday and going to try introducing it more. Had a pet store employee also tell me that if they aren’t eating greens - you can feed the crickets the spinach and they get the greens through them- skeptical on that. Pretty much skeptical on most anything they tell us anymore. This is the best informational website :)

Yes , if your dragon is not a fan of the greens but loves it's bugs. Give the greens to the bugs and the bugs will have their guts full of the greenstuff when eaten by the dragon so it gets the green stuff in disguise and the crickets are enriched nutritionally too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you'll want to avoid spinach. Use kale instead [ most beardies like it ] and try turnip ,dandelion, escarole, endive + mustard greens. Misting is what you do for tropical lizards , with beardies you just spray/drip water on their snout rather than mist them. It's a good idea to get them to drink at least once a week, gout is becoming more common in reptiles and kidney failure as well. Hydration should always be offered since lack of oral hydration can lead to these conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom