Pet Store (Petco) Beardies ok??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caren

Original Poster
Thank you all - I can not get over how helpful everyone on here has been!

We got our first beardie, Thomas, from a reptile store - the guy is super knowledgeable BUT one thing that bothers me a bit - the store is only open a few hours a day and closed on Sunday - the owner has a full-time job and does this on the side. When I went in there to check on his beardie supply I saw some reptiles that did not look like they were in the best shape - they just seemed very sleepy to me. The bear dies were pretty active but like I said he only one orange citrus which had it's tail bit off. Now that one of you posted about that being ok I might just revisit to check him out. He had some leatherbacks that were about $120 which is way more than we spent on Thomas but I am considering getting one as this is an investment in our pet and I'd rather pay more for a healthy little guy.

The Petco ones I've been back and forth about as 2 of them are continually sleeping under their rock, one is sitting all the time in his water dish looking up and the ceiling with his eyes closed?.? And the other one not really running around a lot?.?

I just remember Thomas literally scratching at the cage when we walked in, literally begging us to adopt him. :)

Have checked many, many pet stores, breeders, etc in our area (we're in CT) and no one seems to have any hatchlings.

Going out now to check out the reptile store as I can see the hatchlings from the window. :)

Tomorrow is my daughter's bday and we are giving her the cage and hopefully will figure out where we will adopt from very soon although as one ofnyou pointed out so wisely we will have all this figured out before she sets her eyes on them - we don't want to break her heart if they aren't healthy looking.

Thank you all again!!!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Geico is from petco and emily is from petsmart..both are healthy wonderful dragons..wouldnt trade them for the world. I picked the healthiest and most alert looking in the tank..not the ones that would run up to the front of the tank like pick me pick me. Both were very alert, running around and I made them feed them both for me and they ate well..I held them and looked them over, both were clean and ran up my arm..those are the ones I picked.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
If they have their head straight up they probably have a URI (upper respiratory infection). that's usually caused by low temps and high humidity.

whatever you decide just make sure to post up pictures. we love looking at pictures :)

Caren

Original Poster
So I stopped by the reptile store today knowing it was closed, just so I could peek in on the beardies and it looks like there was more than just the one with his tail chopped in there - and they were the right price $65 or $75 so I left a message to be sure they had them so we can take my daughter on Wednesday. I can not wait to add another little one to our family! Will be sure and add pictures,!

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
beardie parents":17klrwrj said:
I find it hard to suggest places like petsmart and petco as the last several times I've been in to our local town's petsmart the beardies look, to me, way to small to sell, but then the size tank they have them in is way to small for beardies that are even a couple of inches bigger to house in it.

I think Grover was probably too small / young and should have stayed at the breeder's a bit longer, but I've learned PetSmart uses reptile mills, so *shrug*.

Caren

Original Poster
The Petco ones are only 4 weeks old - they are soooooo tiny! I did not realize until I came on these boards that hatchlings needed to be 6 weeks old or older to adopt!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom