Pet Store Instructions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy4nn3

I have been told many different things from many different pet stores.

E&L Pets told me to feed him 20 a week and didnt mention anything about a salad.

I have been told my a woman that owns her own personal pet store. She only has reptiles and her beardies looked very healthy and showed all signs of being alert and happy. She also preceded to tell me that I was over feeding my beardie and he only needs 12 crix and about 4 mealworms a week with a fresh salad everyday. And to spray his salad with a vitamin/calcium mix. Oh, and no wax worms. They are a treat only.

I am hoping that bc the woman I spoke to today is not from a chain pet store and its her personal buisness... that she is telling me correct things.

For the past few months he has been receiving 15 crix a day with a fresh salad with baby food veggies on top. And he would also get about 5 mealworms every other day with his salad. The woman with the personal buisness said I was feeding him an "ungodly" amount and she is surprised he isn't sick and that I need to start feeding him only 12 crix per week immediately.

Any help? What should I feed my beardie? I am aware that there are alot of different opinions but I do not understand why it is so hard for everyone to be on the same page with feeding and care?! :?

Jess

Extreme Poster
How old is he?

Adult bearded dragons should get between 30-50 live feeders a week, as well as salad every day.
Baby and juveniles should have as many feeders as they can eat in a 15 minute period, 1 - 3 times a day depending on age. Really young beardies should have 3 feedings a day, and the older juvies/sub-adults can have 1 or 2 feedings.

So I disagree with both, a baby would starve with only 20 feeders a week! My baby went through 20-40 a day. My adult gets either a dozen crickets every other day, or 7 super worms every 2 days along with a daily salad.

Danielle4

Hatchling Member
Wow

When mine were babies they would eat 100+ crickets a day. NEVER should you feed meal worms they have hard shells that often will cause impaction. Now that both of mine at 16+ in They will eat 30-50 small-medium superworms (which look like meal worms but they don't have the hard shell). Greens every day, if I were to give them crickets and let them eat what ever they wanted in 10-15 min like you should they both can easily eat 3-4 dozen. Mine are not fat or over weight at all and have never had them get sick or anything. They are always alert and active and normally complete white belly. 20 crickets a week will lead to death fast. Also I hope that someone has told you about baths. At least every other day for 15-20 min in nice warm water.

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
He is just at 16 inches and a year old this month. Yes, I give him a few baths a week. He is slowly starting to like them a little more. Now that you know how big he is and age... Please tell me what I should feed him besides a salad everyday, like I already do. And I can get crix easiest... that's why i use those most. I just now found a place that I can get superworms. They are the large, normal size though if that's okay.

Danielle4

Hatchling Member
Yes, the supers should be fine. I was a little worried about how both of mine would digest them so for the first few weeks I would give them a bath every day to make sure that they were going to the bath room and their was no impaction. I have been feeding mine them for about 3 months now with no problems. I don't know how much you found them for but I know pet store prices will make you go broke this is where I order mine from and they have great service if you have never tried them
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/Superworms-c14/ they are also the cheapest. Hope this helps

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
well, how many supers and how often? And do i feed him crix still bc I have about 4 dozen left. So, how many of those and how often?

And I didnt feed him crix yesterday to see if he would eat his greens and he didnt eat his green yesterday or today. I gave him about 12 crix about 30 minutes ago and he ate all of them and ate some greens finally. He has been very tired and sluggish yesterday and today until I fed him and then he ate, ran around the cage for a bit, then crashed on his stick to get warm.

Danielle4

Hatchling Member
There is no set amount what ever they eat in 10-15 min mine will eat 3-5 dozen crickets in one feeding. Supers about the same 40-60 med- large. I feed mine once a day now they were eating 2 times a day when they were under 10 months. However most people will say feed them 2-3 times a day till they are a yr old. I'm glad he ate some greens they get most of their water from the greens

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
So, feeding him everyday still is a yes? bc that lady from the last pet store made it sound like i will kill him quick if i keep it up. I thought 15-20 medium crix a day was fine and my beardie, Safaree was happy it seemed.

and at what age do i need to start cutting back on the crix? Because i have read that beardies eventually depend on greens more than 'meat'?

Danielle4

Hatchling Member
Yes everyday. I let mine eat what they want princess is eating about 30 supers a day and prob 1/2 cup or less of greens she is just over a year old. Chaos eats about 45-60 supers and not so many greens but is getting better he is just about a year old. I think the lady at the pet store needs a little more education on the animals she sells. I say feed them what they will eat for as long as they eat it. Im still learning also

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
ok, thank you. I will probably go get some supers to start him out with on Monday. =) I hope he likes them.

spike5

Shy4nn3":387s9gwj said:
So, feeding him everyday still is a yes? bc that lady from the last pet store made it sound like i will kill him quick if i keep it up. I thought 15-20 medium crix a day was fine and my beardie, Safaree was happy it seemed.

and at what age do i need to start cutting back on the crix? Because i have read that beardies eventually depend on greens more than 'meat'?

YES-Feed him everyday! The pet stores are not reliable and I have found that the people on this site care about and have experience with their own beardies. This site helped us-we have a young baby at 4 mths and we were told by the pet store to feed him 20-30 crickets a week. We learned that we were starving him and needed to feed him at least that same amount a day! Within a week he became healthier...visually larger and is more active and is clearly happy to eat!

So I can only say to trust the advice here...they saved our SPike!

I have read that as adults they become 80% vegetarians/ 20% protein eaters ...and that most dragons will naturally just start eating less ie crickets, worms etc.,

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom