Pet Smart

Status
Not open for further replies.

twyliteskyz

Hatchling Member
i do agree on a couple points, i agree the beardies seem way small, when i went to the store (petsmart) i and seen them in there i was like omg, did they just hatch? thats just wrong. also it does make since that people need to do at least a blip of research before buying a pet that has special requirements. people assume they have a dog that only needs food that comes in a bag that says dog, and water comes from the tap and thats all you need for everything.
but its like that in any business, lets take tattoo shop for example, people go to a random tattoo shop not knowing a thing about what they want or where they want it, so they point to something on the wall and say "i want that... here.. and all i want to spend is 30 bucks"... well then they see thier friend who actually did research on what shop and artist to go to , and came up with a custom design that means something special to them and its awsome, well then the guys like "man , i dont like this tattoo anymore" and have to get it covered up.
so the moral of the story is, do your research, this way you will go to the right shop and get what you are really wanting or needing without costly consequences. unfortunatly sometimes people learn the hard way

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Everyone has their own opinions and experiences with pets stores. No one is wrong. We are all just bashing eachother for the same reasons over and over. Its usually the people that are new to this site that havent seen the other posts that talk about their bad experiences with petsmart or petco. We are supposed to be helping eachother not getting all high and mighty and angry. I tend to find mainly the people new to this site discussing on these kinds of topics.

twyliteskyz":fe6b2 said:
i do agree on a couple points, i agree the beardies seem way small, when i went to the store (petsmart) i and seen them in there i was like omg, did they just hatch? thats just wrong. also it does make since that people need to do at least a blip of research before buying a pet that has special requirements. people assume they have a dog that only needs food that comes in a bag that says dog, and water comes from the tap and thats all you need for everything.
but its like that in any business, lets take tattoo shop for example, people go to a random tattoo shop not knowing a thing about what they want or where they want it, so they point to something on the wall and say "i want that... here.. and all i want to spend is 30 bucks"... well then they see thier friend who actually did research on what shop and artist to go to , and came up with a custom design that means something special to them and its awsome, well then the guys like "man , i dont like this tattoo anymore" and have to get it covered up.
so the moral of the story is, do your research, this way you will go to the right shop and get what you are really wanting or needing without costly consequences. unfortunatly sometimes people learn the hard way

I agree that is why if I see them next time I go in to get things I will let them know so they can learn as well.

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
twyliteskyz":0c4ab said:

Well, I guess that is my point though. If I go into a tattoo shop, and have never had a tattoo (which I do though) I would expect proper advice from the tattooist, especially if they offer it. It's like going into the tattoo parlor and having the tattooist say that the only tattoos that can be done are the pictures on the wall, that no after care is needed, and that it's perfectly fine to reuse needles, and to use cheap paint. If you received that kind of advice from the tattooist, got a tattoo and found out later that he was full of bullony, you would probably sue.
When you go to a specialty store and ask for advice, you would expect a knowledgeable response. So, when a person goes into a pet store, asks for advice, you would expect a knowledgeable answer. Or at in the least a referral to somewhere to find information. If someone from a pet store gave me advice on, lets say gerbil care, I would take it for the truth because I know no difference.

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Elora":3db34 said:
Everyone has their own opinions and experiences with pets stores. No one is wrong. We are all just bashing eachother for the same reasons over and over. Its usually the people that are new to this site that havent seen the other posts that talk about their bad experiences with petsmart or petco. We are supposed to be helping eachother not getting all high and mighty and angry. I tend to find mainly the people new to this site discussing on these kinds of topics.

Elora, I disagree, I actually think it is a healthy discussion. While it is not ok to "bash" other people, Debates are an excellent opportunity to learn and expand one's mind.
When I posted this thread, I was not a "newbie." Quite the opposite actually, I had come to this conclusion because of all the posts I have read regarding misinformation about beardies from petco.
I think it is VITAL that we become aware of these wrong practices and do what we can to improve the situation. If it becomes known that Petco, or any other store for that matter, does not care for their animals and sends people home with poor advice, maybe they will be forced to improve their standard of care.
I for one would like to be informed of poor performing stores so I would know to avoid them in the future.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
I have had such a heartbreak over the beardies at the PetCo closest to my home.... because they are clearly not getting proper treatment!

There were 6 baby dragons housed in one of those itty-bitty PetCo mini-aquarium things (you know what I mean. What they keep their reptiles in.). Two of them were desperately trying to get out, and each of them had heavy stress marks on their bellies. They were underweight, and the salad in their home was wilting and probably 2 or 3 days old. But the worst thing was the dead beardie RIGHT in the MIDDLE of the beardies' home, its eyes all sunk in and chunks missing all over it. Apparently one of the other beardies ripped off 2 of its limbs, too. I was so upset with that, and it was before I was a beardie owner!

I ended up getting my beardie from a trusted petstore that don't sell things they don't know about (apparently they don't have dogs because they can't care for so many animals at one time). It's a smaller shop, and they have EVERYTHING they use on their animals IN THE STORE. I found that when asked how to care for the dragon, the employee's information matched the care sheet on here. I was pleased, and also happy to see the other beardies were happy and healthy (although not going very fast, I guess people are pretty freaked out by them or something).

Anyways, I don't go to PetCo now. The other reptiles are poorly cared for. I saw parasites literally crawling on a Ball Python there....

Makes me wanna buy the whole reptile section and make a sanctuary for the mistreated reptiles. Too bad my family doesn't have billions of dollars. *Sigh*

-- Jacqui

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
dreshany":dd2e5 said:
Elora":dd2e5 said:

Elora, I disagree, I actually think it is a healthy discussion. While it is not ok to "bash" other people, Debates are an excellent opportunity to learn and expand one's mind.
When I posted this thread, I was not a "newbie." Quite the opposite actually, I had come to this conclusion because of all the posts I have read regarding misinformation about beardies from petco.
I think it is VITAL that we become aware of these wrong practices and do what we can to improve the situation. If it becomes known that Petco, or any other store for that matter, does not care for their animals and sends people home with poor advice, maybe they will be forced to improve their standard of care.
I for one would like to be informed of poor performing stores so I would know to avoid them in the future.

Your right that people should be informed but I dont find anything good coming from this kind of post. All I see is pointless bickering. There was one post a while back about this subject and someone made a petition. that was good. someone was actually doing something instead of arguing.

just wanted to point out my experience working at petco. Pretty much every employee that works on the sales floor owns more than 1 type of reptile ranging from chameleons, turtles, different snake species, beardies, toads, etc. whenever we see a reptile or any other animal we bring them to the vet asap. also our temps are always monitored and the food is always proper when it comes to its sizing, whether its dusted etc. we are forced to use calci sand or the store gets in trouble from corporate which is unfortunate, but luckily in the past year and half ive been there we havnt had any issues with impaction. The people i work with work there because they love their animals and like to let people know how to properly care for them so the animal can be as happy as it can be. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents and let everyone know not every corporate store isnt bad to their animals though i know many are. also anyone who doesnt research a pet before they buy one doesnt know what theyre doing and shouldnt be able to get a pet before research is done.

boxers

Hatchling Member
dreshany":82a84 said:

This topic doesn't really seem to be helping though; it's the same information getting cycled over and over. "Grr Petsmart/Petco sucks, everyone who works there is an ***** who doesn't care about animals" when that's not always the case.
And there have been petition(s) against Petco; PETA is even on their asses. It's only a matter of time until Petsmart gets their turn and, believe me, I can't wait, even if I can't stand PETA.

tarian

Hatchling Member
I got my dragon from petsmart, and yes i did no reserch before hand. they are just so damn adorable i had to have her. I was lucky the worker there new everything and even sold me a book to understand a beardies needs. I would have to give them 5 stars, it's too bad not everyone has had my luck. Everyone i meet (while waiting in line for crickets) i refer to this site. ya not everyone has profesional advice, but i think we all care enough to share our experiances and thats a good thing !!!!

nosey08

tarian":79d4d said:
I got my dragon from petsmart, and yes i did no reserch before hand. they are just so damn adorable i had to have her. I was lucky the worker there new everything and even sold me a book to understand a beardies needs. I would have to give them 5 stars, it's too bad not everyone has had my luck. Everyone i meet (while waiting in line for crickets) i refer to this site. ya not everyone has profesional advice, but i think we all care enough to share our experiances and thats a good thing !!!!
I agree with you. I had that experience at Petco

i purchased butterbean 7 months ago from petsmart,here is s.c. and they gave
my husband excellant advice on what to get uvb lights and all. she is still growing longer
and fatter!!! :oops: :blob8:

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
CalBears said:
MissingBello said:
I'm not defending the stores, per say. I'm just saying to be fair to them. As far as your comment about your complaints and petitions, it goes back to my whole thought on how some of the people on this site have never experienced the bad conditions first-hand, yet still will sign petitions. Petitions are not really a popularity contest.

***A question concerning this statement...how do you know whether or not the petitioners have had a bad experience with these shops?

Also, if Home Depot and Walmart employees can be trained to know where most products are located in the stores, then a pet store employee should be able to be trained on the husbandry of their critters. It isn't as tho they have a large variety!!

Patsy

i hate big stores like that, they are good for everything but the animals. i have a fantastic pet shop in my town and every one there knows what they are talking about, (the owner used to be a tropical animal vet i think.) but they get handeling time in every day for every animal that needs it. they only have 2 bd's in a good sized tank and they are both breed from an employee and they seem really curius and happy when you go up to the cage.

tarian

Hatchling Member
i think it's only a matter of time before they realize how loving these dragons are, it makes you become a better owner and seller :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom