perfect tank cualities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conblack

hello guys! 8)
so... i would like you to make a list of the perfect conditions that a tank must have depending of the age/size of your dragon and the number of dragons you have on the same tank.

i have 2 baby bearded dragons on a 10 gallon tank(its temporary, i will make my ouw tank since is cheaper than buying one). but i was wondering how big should my tank be to have a good and accurate control of the temperature and to be spacious and comfortable for my 2 dragon to live in

thank you guys! :wink:

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
3'x2'x2' at least. the wider and longer the better. while theyre young they may not like the large spacious enclosure, you can block off part of it with a board or cardboard until hes larger.

p.s. make sure you seperate them soon. until you do, watch them carefully during feeding. see my signature under this post? my dragon LG was seriously injured by his tankmates during an unsupervised feeding(before i got him). please be carefull, when they're young their limbs are so delicate.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Just about everyone here will advise that you split your dragons up. Often times, they will live together just fine as young, but one will usually become more dominant over the other. Others will argue that their beardies live together in peace. I think this is something that you should consider before you decide on what type of enclosure you will be building.

Most people say that a 4'x2'x2' enclosure is good for a single adult beardie, so I guess you would want to double that to 8x4x2? I'm not sure. I know that a 40 gallon, l (breeder) tank will suffice for an adult, but a 75 gallon long is more ideal. But then again, this is for 1 beardie.

But you are correct, if you go too large, the temps/uvb output may be too difficult to control (and expensive!).

conblack

Original Poster
i have 2 baby females... some people had told me that since they are females there is no problem with having them together in the same tank, is that true(im new with bearded dragons, just started 2 weeks ago 8) )

by the way i have them on my bedroom since we are 4 in the house and we have a small house there is no way i get a 8'4'4, that would be half of my room :? , since i was thinking about making my own tank i think the largest would be 5'4'4
, having this sixe in mind can u guys help me with telling me the W that i should have on the bulbs so i dont spend money experimenting trying to get the ideal heat temperature?

tnx again

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Your two females may be fine, or you may find that you have to separate them. I brought home two sisters as babies and within the first couple of months I had to separate them because one was dominating the other. Just a heads up that while it sometimes works, it's not a sure thing just because they're female.

It's hard to tell you for sure what wattage bulbs you'll need because there are different variables that can affect the temperature - size of the tank, where it's placed in a room (i.e. near windows, drafts, etc.), ambient house temperature, etc. Just so you know, for the basking/heat light you can use regular lightbulbs or halogen flood lights from the hardware store - they do the same job as the more expensive pet store heat bulbs but cost less. All you need is something that puts out bright clear (not coloured) light and enough heat to get your temperatures where they need to be.

Another option, since you're looking at limited space, would be to build a stacking enclosure - 2 tanks with one sitting on top of the other. Then each dragon could have their own 4'x2'x2' space without taking up as much space in your room. There are members here who've build enclosures like this. You would then have to buy two sets of lights, but if you use flourescent tube UVB lights (can get a reptisun 10.0 for $20 online) and halogen flood bulbs it's not that expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom