Pellets: Are they a complete diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to food and nutrition, I've always said, variety is key. This is in regards to anybody's diet, animal or human. So, I've heard that those fortified bearded dragon pellets are a complete diet, as in, it's not necessary to have anything else; but you can add greens and bugs as treats. Is it a complete diet? Would a bearded dragon be okay if it only ate pellets? (And I know beardies hardly ever eat those pellets.) Just curious!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm not sure they are "complete" like they claim, there aren't any nutritional standards to achieve.

I personally wouldn't do it, For a couple reasons. First, I don't trust the companies offering them, they are same ones selling calci sand and coil UVB bulbs.
Second, they are dry (there are moist options now too though). I'm sure they aren't terrible, and lots of keeper and breeders use them in their diets, but a good variety of bugs and veggies is way better.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Sorry, that was a little vague, there are "standards" but they don't seem to be very through when it comes to reptiles.
For humans, many domestic animals and particularly for very well studied animals like rats and mice there are standards of what amounts of what nutrients are needed for growth and health. This is what I would consider a truly accurate measure of "completeness".
Reptiles aren't as well studied so there isn't such a defined set of standards to qualify against.
It's for that reason, such a product to claim be "nutritionally complete" or "complete diet" is potentially misleading to me. In addition the rules are quirky for pet food, and there are ways to make inaccurate claims on the packaging.

That said, achieving the same rough content (proteins, fat, fiber etc) as what's in a healthy "diet" of plants and bugs should be possible and maybe these products offer that. It's likely they are superior to a bad diet if unhealthy bugs and poor veggie choices. I have nothing against packaged foods, I just don't trust them yet. It is much more likely that something important becomes deficient if we only rely on a limited range of food sources.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
In addition to all that said above, which I also agree with,
those pellets are chock full of dyes.

Dragons who are fed a primary diet of those pellets have
bright green, bright red, etc poo.

And the dyes also easily stain their skin if they walk through
the poo.

I know a couple of dragons who were raised on nothing but
the pellets and some fresh veggies and they all have big
stained spots on their feet, belly, and tails from contact with
dyed poo.

abbyxelizabeth

Original Poster
This is great information guys, thank you! I will offer it occasionally but just to add variety, and to make the other foods I have last longer. You all really answered my question. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom