Parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Because of this quarantine the vet office in my area is not doing appointments. My beardie recently has had frequent watery stools that seem to barely be digested at all. It also smells very terrible. Her basking temps are spot on, her UVB is new. She is still eating fine but my goodness does her poop stink! She has been going two to three times a day. As I said her veggies are practically whole. My thought is that it’s potentially parasites but I’m unable to take her for an appointment. Are there such things as facilities that I can send a sample to to test without an appointment. Can they even prescribe medicine for it without an appointment? Is it safe to medicate her myself, or perhaps any natural remedy’s for too many parasites I could try?

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Perhaps even an alternative food I could feed her in the meantime that’s easier for her to digest?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Call your vet tell them you need a fecal done and you want to drop it off for testing -- they do not need to see her -- tell them you think its parasites and why you think they she has them -- after that they can prescribe meds if she needs them --- do not self administrate as you dont know what she has - now if she is having food that is not digested that tells me her basking temps are not high enough- how are you taking those temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- you need a digital probe -- the UVB is a what ? Brand and bulb tube or coil and where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank ?
Karrie

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lhtzidd said:
Call your vet tell them you need a fecal done and you want to drop it off for testing -- they do not need to see her -- tell them you think its parasites and why you think they she has them -- after that they can prescribe meds if she needs them --- do not self administrate as you dont know what she has - now if she is having food that is not digested that tells me her basking temps are not high enough- how are you taking those temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- you need a digital probe -- the UVB is a what ? Brand and bulb tube or coil and where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank ?
Karrie

I have a thermometer gun that you just point at the area and it reads the temp with a lazer. Basking temps are 110-115 (I was told to raise them to this if food was not being digested properly) The UVB is 10.0 UVB tube, I believe it’s repti-sun, on top of the screen but with a reflective cover and I’ve previously asked on the group about that and was told it was okay because it was a high amount of uvb and the reflector, even with the screen I was told it still is enough output making it into the tank. The only vet near me that isn’t like three hours away is not very good. They like to try to drain you of money and suggest extreme measures or unnecessary things without proof or diagnosis. They refused to test her fecal last time I went and told me she needed surgery that she ended up never actually needing. They essentially scheduled me for a surgery with no definitive diagnosis and would not do a fecal. I think that parasites were likely the cause of the symptoms from the beginning. I can call and bicker at them but I doubt they’ll do anything without seeing her. And right now they won’t see her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
115 is too hot- the UVB is fine on top of screen but you need the basking decor 8-10 inches and directly underneath- there is no cover over the bulb correct? You want it exposed-- here is a website to find another vet---
www.arav.org
See if you can find another one
Karrie

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":ekujljrb said:
115 is too hot- the UVB is fine on top of screen but you need the basking decor 8-10 inches and directly underneath- there is no cover over the bulb correct? You want it exposed-- here is a website to find another vet---
http://www.arav.org
See if you can find another one
Karrie
You’ve suggested the website to me before. I have abosolutey none but that one in my area and it’s an hour and a half away. Only other one is four hours away.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well we need Tracie to weigh in on this and see if she can help--- but you need a fecal done for sure- please PM her and see if she has some resources that you can utilize - her user name is drache613- in the meantime get your lighting and basking temps adjusted
Karrie

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":28rdxbdl said:
Ok well we need Tracie to weigh in on this and see if she can help--- but you need a fecal done for sure- please PM her and see if she has some resources that you can utilize - her user name is drache613- in the meantime get your lighting and basking temps adjusted
Karrie
Will do, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom