Parasites- please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey,

Unfortunately she is not a big fan of the healthy greens. B4 she got sick I had finally been able to get her to eat collard greens when cut up and mixed with leafy lettuce...but since she has been sick she wont go near the greens if the collards are mixed in. She also hates mustard greens...and I mean HATES them! If she gets a bite...she shakes her head and spits them out and wont go near them. lol

For now I am just offering the lettuce as she will not eat it if I mix in the healthy greens. I also have offered her squash, sweet potato, carrot and broccoli but she hasn't really wanted them....the only thing I have seen her want is plain lettuce. But I figure thats a good start! Maybe it's like her comfort food? The breeder I bought her from fed her plain lettuce up until the day I got her. He didn't really feed her other greens. I have spent lots of time trying to encourage her to eat other veggies but I figure for now...as long as she is willingly eating something I am happy!

I gave her some dinner a little while ago. Lettuce smothered in baby food again! She ate a few bites...not as much as she did in the am...but the combined amount was way more then she has eaten on a average day recently. :) And she was willing! She is a taking her bath right now and watching Grey's Anatomy....lol :) She really is! I have it on the TV and she is staring at it with the funniest look on her face! lol

Thank you so much for your help! I hope that she continues to improve! Have a happy new year!!!!!!! :)

-Laura

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Laura,

GREAT, it sounds like she is doing pretty well. :blob8:
That is hilarious that she will spit out mustard greens & she doesn't even like collard greens either! I would like to see that. They all have different tastes, that is for sure. Try not to overdo it with plain lettuce because it is so high in water that it will cause diarrhea & it doesn't have much nutritional content. Have you tried bok choy, endive or dandelion greens? Turnip greens? She is a picky little thing, isn't she?
Good luck, you have your work cut out for you don't you! :D
I hope that she had a good bath for her new year's eve night. Keep me posted on her as she gets better.
Happy New Year to you also!!

Tracie

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey,

Yea- she can be a picky little girl! :-/ I haven't tried the other greens u mentioned but I will write them down and see if I can find them in the store. Hopefully now that she seems 2 be getting better she will start wanted other veggies!

She's fast asleep right now.... :)

Goodnight and Happy New Year again! :)

katherine

you can also try kale. my baby boy will only eat kale.you can also try to intise your baby by cutting up some fruit cocktail in water in a can or sliced peaches in water cut up really small since your baby is still a juvie.

katherine

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey,

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try the kale greens! I'm not sure if the fruit will work though. Believe it or not.... she doesn't seem to like fruit! Before she got sick I had offered her a bunch of different fruits including strawberries, blueberries, rasberries, apples and grapes. She won't eat them or any veggies they may have touched! lol Ive tried putting fruits in front of her nose. Ive even tried dripping a bit of juice from the fruit on the tip of her nose...as soon as she tastes it she shakes her head to get away from it backs away from me and the evil fruit! She is s finicky little princess!!!!!!! lol

I just put down a salad for her...a time consuming, pretty display of greens topped with one small green bean (chopped into little pcs) one pea (chopped into little pcs) one pc of corn (chopped into little pcs) a pc of broccoli (chopped into little pcs) and a few pcs of carrot on top. I have it in the center of her dish with 4 medium P. worms wandering around the edge of the dish. So far she wants NOTHING 2 do with it.... :-(

She is really looking much better though! So much like she looked b4 she got sick and even more active then she had been! :) She's getting good use of the larger tank! She went from a 10 gallon to a 33 gallon long (48x13x13)...but she never really took advantage of the size....at first relocation stress and then the parasite issues. But I think things are finally starting to come together! (Knock on wood!)

I ordered her one of those lizard ladders for the wall and a reptile hammock! I think she will like them....she doesn't seem to understand why she cant climb up the beautiful desert background that surrounds her tank.... poor baby! lol Most of her tank has branches by the wall but there is one corner without branches and u just see the background....she goes over there and tries to climb up the plants (only it that corner) and then she will stop and look so baffled..... after a while she always give up and runs over to one of her logs...but its not unusual for her to stare at that corner....lol. Needless 2 say...thats where the lizard ladder and hammock are going!!

lol

Anyways.....thanks again!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Laura,

Great that she is doing much better now! Too bad she didn't eat the veggie salad that you made her, that happens. The kale is ok, but don't feed that too often. Kale is high in oxalates & will bind calcium absorption, so that is why I don't recommend it as a regular staple to feed. The other greens I mentioned are lower in oxalates.
It sounds like she is enjoying her larger tank now, with all of the space. She should like the little ladder that you got her, also.
That is too bad that she tries to climb the desert background, poor thing! :D Hopefully the ladder & the hammock will keep her occupied for awhile.

Tracie

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey, is arugula a ok green 2 feed her? I am having trouble finding the other greens u mentioned. :-(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Laura,

Actually, Arugula is just fine. So you can find that pretty easily? Any luck finding dandelion greens?
How are things going?

Tracie

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hey,

You just made my day! I found Arugula at a store by my house...but I haven't found the other greens you mentioned. I will keep looking!

She's still not eating live food...but she is eating her baby food willingly and yesterday she attacked her greens when I put them in her tank!! :)

One big difference I am noticing is that she is acknowledging the live food even though she is not hunting it yet. She is cocking her head and looking at it. Before she would completely ignore it! Hopefully she will start eating it soon. I picked up a container of zilla fortified bearded dragon food. I thought I could sprinkle some over her greens and hopefully she would eat some and get some extra protein and nutrients. Is that a good idea?

I have been sprinkling a multivitamin (w/ beta carotene, not vitamin a)and calcium on her baby food in the am. :)

I have noticed that the last couple of days she has had diarrhea. Do you think thats because of the greens? Or could it be the parazap?

She has been active and basking!

Any other ideas?

I will be so happy when she starts eating live food again! lol

Thanks for all your help!
-Laura

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey,

Do you recommend reptaid for her? I was just reading that its really good for helping sick beardies get there appetite back. Can it be used along with parazap?

Thanks!

-Laura

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey,

She still isn't eating live food. She is eating baby food that I hand feed to hear and is occasionaly eating the greens/veggies I leave in her tank. Any ideas for getting her to eat her live food again?

She seems good otherwise...is active and basking.

Thanks,

Laura

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hey, I have a little prob. I had an emergency and had 2 rush out this am. I didnt have time to hand feed her baby food. I left some soft bearded dragon food, worms and greens in her tank. I just got home froma long and draining day and its already almost 9 pm...which is very close to lights out 4 her. Should I feed her this close to lights out or just let her skip a day. Im not sure if she ate anything, but if she did it prob wasnt much. Any advice would be appreciated. I usually turn the lights on in the am around 6:30 am and feed her around 7:30. Lights out is usus.ally around 8:30 at night... what should I do? Hope someone can help! Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry I did not see your post sooner.
It is usually best not to feed quite that late, otherwise, she could have digestive trouble. So, a day wont hurt her. Maybe she ate a little bit while you were gone, you think?
Just start over with her regular feeding regime the next day & she will be fine.
How is she doing now?

Tracie

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey,

I ended up not feeding her that night and just turning off the lights. She is doing pretty well. She is still active and seems to willingly eat more of her hand fed baby food on greens daily. She still isn't eating live food. :-(

I bought another reptisun 10 light and fixture because I only had it over the hot side of the tank and I wanted to make sure she was getting uvb if she hung out in other parts of the tank. I ordered them online and they came yesterday. The thing is that I was reading that a reptisun 10 light should be used 16 inches away from her...but her tank is only 13 inches high. Is this an issue. It was reccomended to me that I get the reptisun 10 for my 10 gallon tank which was only 12 inches high. She didn't have any issues until I moved her to the new tank. But I realized after reading the box that she was getting roughly within 7 inches of the uvb because of logs and stuff that I have in her tank. Do you think this could be causing any of her issues? I moved the logs to the other side so that they are not under the UVB light.

Here are some pics so you can see.

This is the hot side of the tank before... The UVB light is over the back of the tank...you can see that there are logs over there..as well as towards the front of the tank.

1208091950.jpg

This is the hot side now that I changed the logs. All the logs are towards the front of the tank..so she can't get up at all towards the UVB light.

0109001759b.jpg

The whole tank...

0109001759.jpg

A semi top view of the lights and tank...
0109001759a.jpg

I'm just throwing this in cause I thought it was cute... this was the other day while she was out of the tank with me...she was trying to figure out why she couldnt get back in...lol
0101001432c.jpg

She seems really stressed out right now...I assume because of the placement change of her logs.... The last thing I wanted to do was stress her out...but I was really concerned about her getting 2 close to the uvb. She is covered in stress marks right now... ugh...

Any advice would be appreciated!

-Laura

Horselo284

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey,

She is still visibly stressed...any advice? Also..any ideas on how to get her to eat live feeders again? Maybe a different feeder I should try? Also, do you think I should try reptaid on her?

Thanks,

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom