parasites? Fungus? Death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys... I'm not sure what this is, but I don't think it's normal. If you look below, I have noticed some black scales on my dragon and taken pics of them. I'm not sure if they are just dead scales or some kind of parasite... Does she just need to shed? Because she hasn't in a while... I've also read of a fungus that grows on them that can often kill them. I'm strapped for cash right now and cannot afford the vet. Is there any medicines I can try at the pet store before seeing the vet? Or should I just go straight there? By the way, all of her other habits are normal... Eating, baking, running around cage. Also, all the temps are right and tank accessories are proper and clean. Thank you for your time and feedback.

2011-02-09_23-06-28_932.jpg

2011-02-09_23-09-59_785.jpg

2011-02-09_23-25-22_659.jpg

Gail

BD.org Addict
Everything I see is just normal colored dragon. The darker circles on the tummy and dark streaks on the beard are stress marks, not always caused by stress. There might be a few dry scales on the belly but nothing unusual and nothing that looks like fungus.

are you serious? dragons have black under there beard and can turn it all black if there moody or cold.
also dry skin can be due to shedding which is natural. you BD should be dry not wet, althought you should make sure he/she isn't dehydrated. your dragon looks perfectly healthy and you should really revise abit about them. dry skin, black beard, patterns on stomach is all normal. if you aint sure there are plenty of books, or websites including this one that can give you all the natural behaviour and anatomy of BD's.

3unuCH80m83r

Original Poster
are you serious? I know that bearded dragons have black spots on them I own 1. stop talking to me like I'm a #### *****. I've never seen dry scales on one before, and I was concerned. obviously this is not the place to find help, at least from your inappropriate word removed by moderator.

Nejiwayne

Hatchling Member
:puke:
knightofroses":1lq68jt3 said:
are you serious? dragons have black under there beard and can turn it all black if there moody or cold.
also dry skin can be due to shedding which is natural. you BD should be dry not wet, althought you should make sure he/she isn't dehydrated. your dragon looks perfectly healthy and you should really revise abit about them. dry skin, black beard, patterns on stomach is all normal. if you aint sure there are plenty of books, or websites including this one that can give you all the natural behaviour and anatomy of BD's.

That would be considered rude.

Give your beardy a 20min soak everyday, take a tooth brush and lighty brush the area/ his whole body.
There are vitimin/moisturizer sprays in petco/petsmart you can try.
Or dab real aloe plant gel on the black scales.

Watch in case they fall off and leave an open wound, then you may have mites or really irrated scales and you might want a vet to have another look.

Please ignore ppl like that, some of us understand and live to help.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
My Lilly has some of those dry scales. I'm just watching them and hoping they come off with her next shed. I am a very well read owner and these scales concern me as well, so please ignore that other response.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Those "spots" doesn't look like any type of fungus to me. One of my girls have a few on her tummy as well, and after some time they seem to get flatter but retain a mark.

You should keep checking her belly to be sure they don't manifest into something else though.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You've already gotten some good responses but I wanted to mention that beardies can't breathe well when placed on their backs and it can really upset them. Perhaps I'm mistaken and the pictures were taken at a different angle but I just wanted to be sure and mention it to you. :wink:

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Well neosporin is safe for beardie use, but I don't know if he needs it. I am just waiting for Lilly's next belly shed and suspect those scales will go away.
Diane, what do you think? Is this a case for cocoa butter?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Using cocoa butter certainly won't do any harm and it may actually help then scales to lift and fall off.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Ok, Diane is our resident shed adviser :wink: so I would definitely pick up a cocoa butter stick if you can find it and rub it on his belly. Just don't rub hard enough to do internal damage, obviously. I'll have to get some to try with Lils next time I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom