Parasites- After Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizardlady101020

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kanon
Hey there! I have had my beardie for about 5-6 months now. I took him to his first vet visit and was finally able to bring back a fecal sample, and he has two types of parasites. Long story short I want to be sure everything is good for him so that he doesn’t contract them again soon, and that I can keep him happy during his treatment. I removed everything except a new basking place (plastic washable Rock) and his feeding dish. Using paper towel as substrate. If anyone has any further suggestions on what I can/ can’t , should/shouldn’t put in his tank during this time please let me know! (ie: hammock that doesn’t absorb, plastic materials for entertainment, etc)
also any suggestion on any additional thing I can do for our guy to keep him happy and comfortable.
Thank you in advance.

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Hey there! I have had my beardie for about 5-6 months now. I took him to his first vet visit and was finally able to bring back a fecal sample, and he has two types of parasites. Long story short I want to be sure everything is good for him so that he doesn’t contract them again soon, and that I can keep him happy during his treatment. I removed everything except a new basking place (plastic washable Rock) and his feeding dish. Using paper towel as substrate. If anyone has any further suggestions on what I can/ can’t , should/shouldn’t put in his tank during this time please let me know! (ie: hammock that doesn’t absorb, plastic materials for entertainment, etc)
also any suggestion on any additional thing I can do for our guy to keep him happy and comfortable.
Thank you in advance.
let me guess the type of parasites were coccidia and pin worms? and after the treatment just proceed with what you normally do

Lizardlady101020

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kanon
Ok so since it was coccidia what I said still stands but that parasite is caused by unsanitary keeping of the bugs how often do you clean what you keep your bugs in?
Thank you for that information.
At the moment I have been picking up from the store daily until my next shipment comes from Dubias.com. So it’s pretty much me buying the bugs and feeding and repeat as needed, until next week. The site has been having lots of delays for me :(
typically though I give Dubia and keep them in a Kritter keeper, I gut load with Mazuri gut load.. same with Crickets they have a cricket keeper same gut load. I typically don’t clean them till after the food is gone as I am not the best yet with keeping loads of crickets at a time, so I get enough to feed for about two days then clean and move to the dubias. The dubias he gets picky about so I clean their keeper about every other day. Should I do this daily instead? Same thing with Nutrigrubs as the Dubias, clear out and clean every other day. I keep the Nutrigrubs in the substrate they come in and transfer to their own kritter keeper.
I also get my crickets from Petco when my online shipments delay. Should I maybe also start getting my feeders elsewhere? I’ve heard good and bad things about petco opposed to an actual reptile store… the closest one to me is about 30 mins away - but if needed I will definitely only get feeders from there as needed if there’s bad rep with petco feeders!

Also thank you for your help and I hope no judgement . I did lots of research before getting our guy but I’m still learning new things everyday ❤️

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Thank you for that information.
At the moment I have been picking up from the store daily until my next shipment comes from Dubias.com. So it’s pretty much me buying the bugs and feeding and repeat as needed, until next week. The site has been having lots of delays for me :(
typically though I give Dubia and keep them in a Kritter keeper, I gut load with Mazuri gut load.. same with Crickets they have a cricket keeper same gut load. I typically don’t clean them till after the food is gone as I am not the best yet with keeping loads of crickets at a time, so I get enough to feed for about two days then clean and move to the dubias. The dubias he gets picky about so I clean their keeper about every other day. Should I do this daily instead? Same thing with Nutrigrubs as the Dubias, clear out and clean every other day. I keep the Nutrigrubs in the substrate they come in and transfer to their own kritter keeper.
I also get my crickets from Petco when my online shipments delay. Should I maybe also start getting my feeders elsewhere? I’ve heard good and bad things about petco opposed to an actual reptile store… the closest one to me is about 30 mins away - but if needed I will definitely only get feeders from there as needed if there’s bad rep with petco feeders!

Also thank you for your help and I hope no judgement . I did lots of research before getting our guy but I’m still learning new things everyday ❤️
no judgement at all my beardie went through the same thing and I don't know if she came with the parasites or if we gave it to her but that was over a year ago now and yes i'd say clean it daily you can get crickets from petsmart but make sure you put them in a cricket container and clean that every time you get more crickets

Lizardlady101020

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kanon
no judgement at all my beardie went through the same thing and I don't know if she came with the parasites or if we gave it to her but that was over a year ago now and yes i'd say clean it daily you can get crickets from petsmart but make sure you put them in a cricket container and clean that every time you get more crickets
Thank you so much for the feedback , very helpful! 🙏🏼 ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom