Parasite questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I've had Charlie since April. I've used this site to educate myself about beardies since I'm his primary caregiver, but I'm still unclear on parasites.

Where do they get the parasites?
What kind of warning signs am I watching for?

I ask because Charlie's appetite & pooping has decreased in the last couple of months, and I've noticed that he is dark colored a lot of the time. I assumed both of these had to do with winter coming on, but after finding out a really stinky poop can mean parasites -- he had one a couple of weeks ago, I'm getting paranoid.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Constant stinky and messy poop can be an indicator, as can weight loss, appetite loss (leading to weight loss), and lethargic behavior (often with a dark black beard to indicate distress). They can get the parasites from other dragons, contact with poop (usually from other dragons) or from contaminated food (usually bugs like crickets that haven't been kept in sanitary conditions). There may be more sources, but those are the ones I think of.

It's not uncommon for them to carry a light load of parasites, especially pinworms. As long as they aren't in a high concentration, their immune systems can keep them in check without intervention. Keeping their living conditions sanitary helps with this quite a bit. When higher loads are detected, then treatment can be given and that is often successful at reducing or eliminating the parasites. In most cases that I've seen, they don't turn out to be a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom