parasite help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hercules

Hatchling Member
Hey guys,

So I just had a really frustrating visit to the vet. My little guys is about 6 or 7 months old, eats plenty, 80ish crickets/phoenix worms a day plus some veggies every day(recommended veggies off beautifuldragons). His tank set up is all correct, temp, substrate, uvb, blah blah blah.

So now to get to the problem, he has had diahrea for about a week so I went to get a fecal done. The vet says she saw some little worms in the poop so she is going to give me some meds tomorrow,I forget the name but I don't trust her so I will post the name and recommended dosage tomorrow when I get it so you guys can hopefully verify whether or not I should use it and how much I should use.

Now the reason I don't trust her is because once I told her how much I fed him and stuff she told me I should only feed him crickets as a snack (she probably looked up info on an adult beardie). When I told her that at his age they should eat 50 to 100 crickets a day she looked at me like I was crazy. She then argued with me for a bit before leaving the room and talking to someone else and then back tracked real quick and started complimenting me on the good care I take of him.

Do you guys think I should just assume he does have a parasite and medicate him if she even gets me the right meds or should I not even bother with her and take him to another vet?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, did the vet tell you what she saw? Or did she actually just say worms? Did she give you the count?

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would call her or ask her when you go to pick up the meds exactly what she saw and the counts. Most medications for parasites are pretty rough on a dragon, there is no need to medicate if its unwarranted. A dragon naturally has small levels of certain parasites in their bodies. It's not until a more dangerous parasite or the counts get out of hand that medication is required.

-Brandon

Hercules

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I doubt she will be able to give me a count, I think I may just take him to another vet. Do you think he's ok to wait until Friday because that will probably be the earliest I could get him to the other vet with their hours and my work hours.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He is eating fine, and seems to be healthy besides the poos for the past week correct?
He will be fine until you can get another fecal if that's what you want. I would call or at least ask your current vet first just to hear what she saw though.

-Brandon

Hercules

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so quick update, He ate fine again today, don't think he touched his squash and I didn't hand feed him any (which is how he will usually eat his veggies), he ate 35 phoenix worms in the morning and 30 crickets and 15 worms for dinner. The vet gave me 2 .01 ml syringes of Pyrantel and instructed to give him the 2 doses a week apart to deworm. Is Pyrantel as harsh on beardies?

I haven't given him anything yet

Thanks again

Hercules

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
had diarrhea again today, should I give him the dewormer? I'm going to get him to the vet friday morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom