Pan wont move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly here is Pan's set up
UV: A newly fitted Arcadia T8 12% with a reflector, that is around 9 inch from his basking spot - I change this just before the six month period is up,
Basking Bulb: 100W that i measure using a temp gun that usually measures between 37c - 41c but I mostly keep it at 39c - this sometimes drops when i was at work to lowest 36c but i always turn it back up
Pan is almost 2 years old and is a male measuring at about 21 inch
Since lockdown in the UK his diet has consisted of about 3 superworms a day which i know isnt great but its the only thing i can find since i cant leave the house. I dust this with calcium around 3 x a week and multivits once. He always has REFUSED veg and fruit and only eats blueberries every now and then much to my disappointment. Recently he had been pooping every 4 days or so in his cage or in a bath, which has been solid but slightly wet looking. However since moving him in to another room i think he got a bit stressed and went just over a week without pooping, despite contuning to eat.

Now on to the problem. The last few days Pan hasnt been himself, usually he has little mad half hours where he dives about in his cage, but recently hes just been lying at the hot side not even on his basking spot. I've checked his temp and its been within the normal limits. Then i noticed that he was dragging his back legs around when he attempted to move, which was not often. Because of this i instantly put him in a warm bath and rubbed his belly which caused him to have a massive poo. However, he still wont move and sees to be getting worse. He will now only move his front legs when i pick him up and all his legs put one feel completely stiff . He seems completely alert, always glaring at people that walks pass and having a nosy when the cat walks pass who he adores, though i would never let them meet. He is still eating and the poo that he had was looked normal. I give his black cherry extract mixed with water or just water to drink because hes done this once before but never to this extent. When he did this before i took him to the exotic vets and they said he seemed completely normal and he even had a fecal test just to check and this came back normal. However, this was around 8 months ago. I just dont know what to do! i could order a fecal test done over the internet or i could take him to the vets but its difficult during this time because health issues make me vulnerable to catching this virus :roll:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm sorry your dragon isn't doing well!
Your lighting sounds perfectly fine, the Arcadia tubes are very good. Do you have any pictures
of your tank setup we could see perhaps, just to be sure the light placements are good. The T8
is a pretty good light but if it's mounted on top of the screen, it will filter out a good amount of the
UVB. Since he is dragging his back legs he may be having some calcium issues perhaps. How
much calcium does he actually get, just a little bit on the superworms, 3 times per week?
Is the light mounted on top of the screen or underneath of the screen?
Has he ever brumated before?
I would try to get some slurries made for him, which essentially are just greens blended up, along
with squash or sweet potato blended in for him. That is whatever you have right now in the house.
The world wide lockdown is unecessary & getting out of hand.
The only other possibility would be maybe impaction or an injury.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
Drache613":2ngrjeo5 said:
Hello,

Your lighting sounds perfectly fine, the Arcadia tubes are very good. Do you have any pictures
of your tank setup we could see perhaps, just to be sure the light placements are good. The T8
is a pretty good light but if it's mounted on top of the screen, it will filter out a good amount of the
UVB. Since he is dragging his back legs he may be having some calcium issues perhaps. How
much calcium does he actually get, just a little bit on the superworms, 3 times per week?
I would try to get some slurries made for him, which essentially are just greens blended up, along
with squash or sweet potato blended in for him. That is whatever you have right now in the house.

Tracie

Hi Tracie,
These are the images of Pan's cage, i don't know whether you can see it properly in the photo but the UV does have a reflector on top. I re-measured and its about 8.5 inches from his back when hes basking.
102838-819773493.jpg
102838-1745520486.jpg
102838-2771453960.jpg
I also included some photos of him, as you can see hes alert but still refusing to move much. ive been feeling his legs and i can't feel anything and he doesn't seem bothered when i touch them. I dip the worms in calcium when i feed them to him which im now thinking maybe thats getting too much calcium on them? I'm not sure. He is still eating and like i said he has pooed twice now in his bath. Yesterday he even wriggled around a bit to re-adjust in his bath but didnt stand up. How would i know if it was an injury? he does have a tendency to jump around a lot in his cage and sometimes miss judges things because hes a rescue and blind in one eye :roll: :? Ive seen him flop down a number of times.

Thanks,
Em

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
Pantalaimon":16g34s3m said:
Drache613":16g34s3m said:
Hello,

Tracie

Hi Tracie,
These are the images of Pan's cage, i don't know whether you can see it properly in the photo but the UV does have a reflector on top. I re-measured and its about 8.5 inches from his back when hes basking.
102838-819773493.jpg
102838-1745520486.jpg
102838-2771453960.jpg
I also included some photos of him, as you can see hes alert but still refusing to move much. ive been feeling his legs and i can't feel anything and he doesn't seem bothered when i touch them. I dip the worms in calcium when i feed them to him which im now thinking maybe thats getting too much calcium on them? I'm not sure. He is still eating and like i said he has pooed twice now in his bath. Yesterday he even wriggled around a bit to re-adjust in his bath but didnt stand up. How would i know if it was an injury? he does have a tendency to jump around a lot in his cage and sometimes miss judges things because hes a rescue and blind in one eye :roll: :? Ive seen him flop down a number of times.

Thanks,
Em

I’ve just fed him and I believe it might be something to do with his calcium actually, his back legs had slight tremors when he moved them. Is their anyway I can treat this at home or do I need to take him to the vets? He was fine last week, poor Pan! I’ll buy medicine offline if possible

Thanks,
Em

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Try taking him out + putting him on the floor to prompt him to move. For some reason once in a while they will seem to become immobile but then just get back to normal.

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
AHBD":1fh6veqy said:
Try taking him out + putting him on the floor to prompt him to move. For some reason once in a while they will seem to become immobile but then just get back to normal.

Unfortunately I’ve tried that and he just stays still with his head raised, the only time he has moved is when he’s in his bath he wiggles around a bit

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
So here is my plan for Pan this week/today. Ive ordered him a bunch of silkworms to try and get some better calcium intake and if it is something else to hopefully help with the pain. Problem is he is the pickiest lizard i have ever heard of, and so so so stubborn its so hard to get him to drink or eat something new. His brain has one focus and thats superworms or dubia roaches. Also today im going to get him on his basking spot on my garden for a bit to try and get some UV. It's not super warm but sunny enough to heat his rock up and let him sit out for a while. If i see no changes in him by Saturday i think ill be taking him to the vets if i can get out of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom