Ozzy's eye! please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzy98

ok, my beardie, named Ozzy, has a weird eye apparently because he's alert sometimes when i come up to the cage but then his eye starts to squint, like this:
DSCF0478.jpg

and he does not seem to bask alot anymore. usually, he is laying on his basking rock alot but now, he goes to the cooler side of the cage and lays there with his eyes closed. is anything wrong with him? and there seems to be something on his eyelid as well:
DSCF0472.jpg
(not the greatest quality, sorry!)

he has also been eating, but no poop in 3 days! I have that calcium sand in there so idk about impaction!

is there anything i can do to help him?

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Hi.
What type of UV bulb do you have?
Also, I would get rid of the sand right away, it could lead to impaction, and it could possibly be sand in his eye (I am not saying that is what is wrong for sure, but it is possible). You could use paper towels instead of sand if you dont have anything else to use.

Ozzy98

Original Poster
I have a repti-glo 10.0 13w UVB bulb. it's positioned in the middle of the tank. im worried about him not eating, basking or pooping. he doesnt do a whole lot of anything now. It's like he doesnt care about much of anything. HE HASN'T POOPED IN 4 DAYS! :?

Tatty

Juvie Member
Get rid of the sand. It can cause impactions and eye problems and leave you with a big vet bill. It looks like he may have sand in his eye. :!:

Tatty

Ozzy98

Original Poster
can i give him a bath to get the sand out of his eye?

and what can i do about him pooping and basking and what not?

Tatty

Juvie Member
Hopefully the bath will help his eye and help him to poop. You can by some repti-eye drops, usually for turtles, that may help his eyes from a pet store. If you give him a little olive oil and or applesauce and soak him in a lukewarm water bath, hopefully he will poop and feel better. :D

Tatty

Ozzy98

Original Poster
ok so how do i go about actually getting it out of his eye? drip water over it? uhhhhh....
do i put the olive oil in his food or do i drip it down his mouth or something?

sorry, this is only my second reptile pet (i had a turtle that i rescued, easy to take care of)
in my whole life. I'm new to him and vice-versa.

Tatty

Juvie Member
Drip the water over his eye. If you have some reptile eye wash you can try to hold the little lid open and drop it in his eye. If you have a human eye drop formula called "Tears" you can do the same. With "Tears" you can do this frequently and help the eye flush itself out. Also with the olive oil you need to try to get some in his mouth. Drip it on his nose and work it in with your fingernail until he licks or use a peach of dental floss and pull in on the front of his mouth to get him to open it. Good Luck

:D Tatty

Ozzy98

Original Poster
Thank you for that info!

I dont know if this affects anything, but when ozzy was younger,
he got into a fight with his siblings and got the end of his tail bitten off.
It's rounded and hard at the end, but it's all healed, but will that
affect any part of his life? If so, what do i do?

Tatty

Juvie Member
If his tail has healed and is not necrotic and black on any portion, it shouldn't affect his life span. :D

Tatty

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
You say your bulb is a Repti-GLO 10.0? That is most likely what's causing his eye problems. Take it out immediately and get him a Repti-SUN 10.0 linear fluorescent tube. :D

Ozzy98

Original Poster
ok, i will most likely change the bulb for him on payday, thanks.

i think i have what was in his eye out, i gave him a bath and rubbed gently over
his eye and got a gooey substance out (looked exactly like an eye booger!)

and for some reason, he is eating worms like crazy!
and he's eating pears and cherries from a mixed fruit ensemble.

could all that have sparked his appetite or something?
what did?

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...I agree with removing the sand. Many of us use textured ceramic or slate tiles. Any loose substrate can cause problems.
You can order a RepiSun 10 long fluorescent tube at http://www.Petmountain.com. It is about $20. Turn the other one off til you get your new one to give Ozzy's eyes a chance to rest.
Do you have a reptile vet? The mass on his eye needs to be checked out. It might be nothing but it also could be a skin cancer that needs to be removed.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom