Ozzy is acting odd..

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesOzzy

Hatchling Member
So I've had my bearded dragon Ozzy for about 6 months now, and she has been getting a long fine.
At the moment she is roughly 15 inches long, a good belly on her and nice colouring.
She lives in a 4 x 2 x 2 foot tank with ceramic tiles for flooring, a 100 watt heat lamp and a reptisun 10.0 strip bulb.
Ozzy has been acting strange as of late however, she has lost her appetite and will now only eat greens mostly, and very rarely eat crickets. (She never turns down a locust however).
Ozzy has also been a lot less active, her eyes remain alert throughout the day but she just lays down under her heat lamp for the day, she used to explore and climb things. When I take her out she'll perk up and walk about my room, she also black beards when she sees my other little guy Biffy and head bobs.
I'm just concerned because her appetite has really decreased and so has her activity levels. She also has started pooping a lot less.

I should also say that I recently changed her tank, the bearded dragon that lived in this tank previously died of unknown causes, the repti-vet suggested RI but was unsure. (The bearded dragon that died showed a complete loss of appetite and became incredibly lethargic before it died. Nor did it ever poop.)
Before I put Ozzy in this tank I thoroughly cleaned it with milton (baby bleach), aired it out and used none of the original items that were in the tank.

I've also considered that she may be attempting to brumate, but it's coming into summer now, and her tank temps are normal. 110 under the heat lamp, 80-100 on the warm side, and 60-80 on the cold side.

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give, I want to know if something could be wrong.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can certainly see why you'd be nervous. Some beardies DO go through a phase of not eating much, and even will suffer from relocation stress within your home due to being placed in a new tank. Do you have her weight ? I've noticed that many dragons that are fed locusts are on " very robust to near chubby" side....so at times a little hunger strike won't hurt them. It's GREAT that she continues to eat the greens, though.

WesOzzy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well all my friends and relatives call her fat, but she doesn't look so to me. She can hold herself up, and lift her belly off the floor and everything.
She's also only on one locust a day with greens.
My main concern is that the same thing that happened to the last bearded dragon is now happening to her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully it is just relocation stress. Like I said, even though she is in the same house, just moving her to a new cage can throw things off. It's happened to mine plenty of times over the years....they're doing fine, outgrow their tank, moved to a new tank and , Presto....no eating for a week. When your other dragon became ill, were there visible symptoms ? Labored and open - mouth breathing, etc. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom