Overweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddzilla1108

Hatchling Member
So I am nearing 5 months with Rey in about 2 weeks (8 months of age roughly?), and I was wondering if her weight was too high for her size. She is 16.3", and 421 grams by my last measurement.

I've already cut back on feeding her (10 max bugs per feeding, once per day, 5x a week w/Veggies the other two days)

On a side note...is it normal for them to not drink water? I think the last time she licked up water that I gave her was a few months ago (After giving her medicine for coccidia). Maybe got her to drink 5 times TOTAL since I've had her.

Pics: Let me know if they don't suffice

SVqQGDZ.jpg

pODEQJ0.jpg

GKBCJaS.jpg

tsJw9kU.jpg

1VT9E3h.jpg

3d3I27N.jpg

DoBD9Ff.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nice ....

Just nice size.

Beardies have the ability to flatten out - makes them look fatter than they are . Two reasons for doing this :

---- maximizing surface area to soak up warmth
or
---- make themselves look bigger than they really are.

Your beardies look fine to me.

My 8 month olds are on 2 live insect feeds per day each + greens and grated veg. Will maintain this feeding schedule for until they are about 18 months old and their growth starts to tapper off.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Toddzilla1108":27a4zlui said:
So I am nearing 5 months with Rey in about 2 weeks (8 months of age roughly?), and I was wondering if her weight was too high for her size. She is 16.3", and 421 grams by my last measurement.

I've already cut back on feeding her (10 max bugs per feeding, once per day, 5x a week w/Veggies the other two days)

On a side note...is it normal for them to not drink water? <<<< yes - perfectly normal - I have no water dishes in my beardies' enclosures. they get most the hydration they require from their live insects and fresh greens and salad/veg. I give mine a drink using an eyedropper (drops on their nose) 2 - 3 x per week.
I think the last time she licked up water that I gave her was a few months ago (After giving her medicine for coccidia). Maybe got her to drink 5 times TOTAL since I've had her.

Pics: Let me know if they don't suffice

SVqQGDZ.jpg

pODEQJ0.jpg

GKBCJaS.jpg

tsJw9kU.jpg

1VT9E3h.jpg

3d3I27N.jpg

DoBD9Ff.jpg

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
It depends on the bone structure (for lack of a better word) of your dragon. If she comes from a larger line this size may be okay. However, overfeeding and fattening up a dragon too fast is not good. The vet switched my dragon over to the adult diet around 8 months because she was chubby. Vet said too much much weight, especially on females, led to earlier potential girlie problems. Egg development and laying earlier, stress on liver. For DaisyDragon vet said around 335 grams was enough weight.

She immediately started doing leg lifts to exercise.

83620-8673130124.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom