Overweight male

jabda

Hatchling Member
I have a 12 month male that's 716 grams (just weighted) He's 22 inches and I'm trying to put him on a diet.
I've cut back on the feeders only offering 2-3 twice a week. Veggies the other days but now he's stopped eating
the veggies, only picking at them. Besides the fact that he's fat, he's still very active.

All my lighting is correct, 12 hours of sleep, poops regular, just enjoys eating. He's always been a big boy. The breeder saw him
and said he's bigger then his parents who were 600+.

My thoughts are to feed him the veggies and if he doesn't eat them all eventually when he gets hungry he'll
eat them all.

Any have a good diet for fatties. Here's a picture today.

Thanks

Attachments

• 716grams.jpg
    716grams.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 115

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My thoughts are to feed him the veggies and if he doesn't eat them all eventually when he gets hungry he'll
eat them all.
Correct. At 700g you're not going to be starving him even if he barely eats for a few weeks lol.

The diet plan you have laid out sounds good, and is what I'd do. Id continue that diet plan even once he settles into a healthy weight.

-Brandon

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
He doesn’t look too thrilled about the diet haha 😂 looking forward to his progress! I’ve seen a chonky one go without food for 6 months, still doing fine.

jabda

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He doesn’t look too thrilled about the diet haha 😂 looking forward to his progress! I’ve seen a chonky one go without food for 6 months, still doing fine.
NO, he's not a happy camper! But, he's not going to train me this time with his fat ass!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He said silly hooman, "I'm not fat....... I'm Robust" "there's a difference" 😆 🤣

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good advice on the diet. See if you can get him a little exercise too. Maybe he'll go for a game of chase the blueberry :) :

Maybe use smaller ones and interchange them with a few peas.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Good advice on the diet. See if you can get him a little exercise too. Maybe he'll go for a game of chase the blueberry :) :

Maybe use smaller ones and interchange them with a few peas.
one of my favorite beardie videos!

we do this with worms, too. ya gonna get a treat, gotta work for it buddy.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Try hand feeding the greens and it sucks but hold out on protein for a couple of days. She'll need to eat that salad before you cave and give her bugs. Switching up the color veggies should help too, and I'd toss a couple of dusted worms - but not a whole meal's worth- in the salad to get her near it. I straight up argue with mine about it through their tanks and they eat their salads eventually before looking to the bug corner. Her being active is important so as long as she's running around well and able, it's shouldn't be an issue to keep her weight healthy.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom