Overweight Beardie?? I need other opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
$68 isn't too bad for a fixture + bulb. So it is the T5, which is great as they are the stronger bulbs. But I can't tell from the picture if the bulb it came with is the T5 5.0, or the 10.0. The 5.0 is basically equivalent to a T8 10.0, so it will still work for you if it is only the 5.0.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those fixtures usually ship with the 5.0 bulb but a 10.0 (or Arcadia 12%) can be swapped in if needed, using the same fixture.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So w/ Brandon and cooperdragon chiming in it should go inside tank -- when you replace the bulb in 6 months look into getting a Arcadia 14% bulb --- they are a good strong bulb that can go on top and don't need to be replaced for a year-- but the one you have now needs to be 6-8 inches from basking--- you can use 3m Velcro hangers - plastic zip ties or picture hanger wire
Karrie

ohitslexluthor

Original Poster
KarrieRee":5baw8dwu said:
I am not sure if that's a 10.0 or not it's a long skinny tube so IAM wondering if it's a 10.0 - I will let someone else answer- I looked on box and I didn't see a 10.0 -- I would set it on top of screen for now - make sure he's about 10- 11 inches from basking area-- you got a good bulb so you will notice a difference in his behavior
Karrie

It is long and skinny this is what it looks like put together... Basking and UVB light; Just read box it says it came with a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB. It can work with the 10.0 24 watt as well. For right now for basking I am using the duel holder but took out the UVB & unplugged it. It is about 10 inches away from UVB and is in his normal basking branch. I will probably get a single holder.
So should I have it away from the metal top or no...?? I would prefer not.

105035-2678880231.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
the one you have now needs to be 6-8 inches from basking--- you can use 3m Velcro hangers - plastic zip ties or picture hanger wire--- needs to be inside tank for best UVB rays since it is the 5.0 bulb--- its more like an aquarium bulb---
Karrie

ohitslexluthor

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1yz2oerz said:
the one you have now needs to be 6-8 inches from basking--- you can use 3m Velcro hangers - plastic zip ties or picture hanger wire--- needs to be inside tank for best UVB rays since it is the 5.0 bulb--- its more like an aquarium bulb---
Karrie

Okay i'll try my best to get it to hang. Along with basking & get a clamp holder; might as well get rid of the metal top all together.. $30 down the drain oh well lmao.
I will post an updated pic of final result ! : )

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ohitslexluthor":370trqmo said:
It is long and skinny this is what it looks like put together... Basking and UVB light; Just read box it says it came with a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB. It can work with the 10.0 24 watt as well. For right now for basking I am using the duel holder but took out the UVB & unplugged it. It is about 10 inches away from UVB and is in his normal basking branch. I will probably get a single holder.
So should I have it away from the metal top or no...?? I would prefer not.

Using the dual fixture with only 1 bulb is fine. You can keep it like that if you want.
If it's already 10 inches away, you might not be able to mount it inside the tank without it being too close. If you are willing, you could buy the reptisun 10.0 T5 bulb right now, and replace your 5.0. The stronger bulb would allow you to keep it on top of the mesh (which blocks some uv) without a problem and he will still be getting proper levels.

If mounting it inside the tank gets it any closer than 6-8 inches, i'd just keep it mounted outside the tank. It won't be ideal levels, but its potentially safer than exposing to too much uv.

-Brandon

ohitslexluthor

Original Poster
It's better to be safe than sorry. It's only a 75 gal aquarium that I made into a terrarium. Not that wide. I'm headed to Petsupermarket now. I'll go ahead and exchange the bulbs and keep the metal top. His hammock that he sleeps on every night is literally at the top of the tank and I don't really feel comfortable putting the light that close to his hammock. I'm also nervous that it might deform the top. But i guess i'm just over thinking it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom