Overnight Heating??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKMaynard

Hi! We're new dragon owners, and just have a quick question about overnight heating. I am wondering if we should be leaving our under-tank heating pad and heating coil on overnight, or turning one or the other or both off? We have our beardie (Maynard) set up with a warm and cooler side of his enclosure, with the under-tank pad on one end, and his UVB bulb shining at the other. Obviously we turn off his UVB bulb and all our lights over night, but have been leaving both heat sources on. I doubt the temp will dip down below 65 or 70 even with the coil off... so should be be turning it off overnight? Any and all advice appreciated, thanks!

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
It probably won't be a good idea to use either the heating pad or coil during the night or day. My beardie normally can move between basking side (95-105 F) to cool side (80-85 F) to regulate his body temperature. I've not heard of many people here using a heating pad or coil, and even some that say it can cause overheating or burns in a dragon, since they cannot feel it on their stomachs if they're lying on it. If your temps don't fall below 65 F at night, then there shouldn't be a problem if you just turned everything off.

Is the cool side of your tank too cold during lights on, so you're using the heating pad?

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, I agree with randommonks. Coil UVBs are not recommended as they don't give off enough UVb and can damage the beardies eyes. What you need is a UVB tube; the reptisun 10 is the best (or arcadia 12% from UK). At night i use a ceramic heat emitter (mainly in the winter)- i have it linked up to a thermostat so i can set temps to stay at 70F at night. the ceramic heat emitter only gives off heat and no light- ideal for night times as other bulbs such as night lights can disturb a beardies sleep. The heat mat is unecessary as well as dangerous. Beardies rely on heat from above so you'll nead a basking bulb or a regular household bulb for heat alongside the UVB tube- they are also attracted to the bright light so it encourages them to bask. Here's a pic of my set up so you know what i mean: :D

The basking bulb is set up on the right, UVB at the back hanging down from hooks so beardie can get within 6 inches and ceramic heat emitter bulb in middle (used at night only)
DSCF0039-1.jpg

here's how i have my UVB set up (you can't see the wires when looking at viv)
DSCF0042-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom