Over feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhurley79

Hello I am a fairly new beardie owner. I bought my first one from PetSmart in august and she died 6 weeks later. I was given my second one (Arizona)by a friend of a friend who is a breeder. Arizona was born in mid November and I brought him home approx 6 weeks later (early January) he is now approx 3 months old. He isn’t a fan of crickets so besides various greens he eats 1/4 inch dubia roaches. When I got him he was about 5 or 6 grams, now he is 37 grams (I weighed him today). He eats a lot of dubia in a day. He will eat upwards of 40 each meal if I let him. I usually feed him dubia 2-3 times a day after he eats his greens in the morning. My question is should I be feeding him upwards of 100 dubia a day or is that to much? My boyfriend keeps telling me I am over feeding him. He has no beardie experience so I’m not sure if he is right or not. To me my beardie looks pretty healthy as he does have some weight on him. I just want to make sure I’m not hurting him by letting him eat so much. When I put the dubia in his tank he eats them up so fast and then looks for more some of the time. I normally stop giving them when he’s eaten 40. I have not noticed any constipation, he usually has 1-3 bowl movements per day and always has one every other day when I give him his bath. I just want to make sure I’m doing the right things for him so he stays happy and healthy.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
:lol: Oh, this takes me back! I had the same questions about my Figment when he was in that "bug vaccuum" phase... I was astonished at how many feeders that little guy could devour! It sounds to me like you're doing the right thing. I was told to feed him as much as he wanted to eat in 10-15 minutes, then remove the feeders. When they're in that fast-growing phase, they do have higher metabolisms and eat an astonishing amount. I always wondered where my boy was putting it all - he never looked "round" after a meal!

Enjoy your voracious little muncher!

Gemmadurbo

Hi, i have been thinking the same with our Jack, we had him from a breeder at 2 weeks old with ongoing help from her as we’re new to it all. He's now 6 weeks old sheds once a week and has grown so quickly, he eats medium locust( literally around 15 of them 4 times a day) we gut load them them with rocket, cucumber, kale etc. We weighed and measured him today and he's 8 1/2 inches and 45g, he's been handled by the breeder before we got him so he loves to be held, he doesn’t look fat but i wondered whether we were over feeding him but he does run away when he’s finished eating???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom