Outside Habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimmeriing

Hatchling Member
I've been taking Jasper out a lot lately, since it's been really nice out. I'll sit in the grass, and put him down next to me. He just lays there..doesn't move or anything? He's more active inside! Is this alright? I know his colors darken, you can really see his patterns.
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Well, it's not really a problem..lol but yeah..

Bootz

Jack just tilts his head up and goes into attack mode. He did the same thing when the cableguy was in the house the other day. He did try to make a run for the fence when I took him out the first time though.

i have also been taking my beardies outside....as the weather here in germany has been scorching!!! They both tilt their heads up to the sky, and also become very dark in colour. The other day my female beardie caught a fly....im not sure if this will harm her or not???? They seem to like it outside, although i do have to keep a careful watch over them, as they are so bloody fast!!!!!! I just think its great for them to have some natural sunlight....

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
I regularly take my two outside when the weather is good. Kyle tends to sit and look around in the warm spot by the greenhouse, but Tsam loves to have a walk around and try things. I've got a patch of dragon-friendly plants for them to have a snack on too.
I've found they tend to stare at the sky a lot at first: it's instinctive, looking for bird predators. Trust between dragon and human will reduce this - they realise the birds don't come close when you're around, but they will still go dark as the light is less intense outside than desert bulbs.

Hope that helps.

Beardie Leash, useful for outside: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=95314

shimmeriing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Jasper just sits there..he usually stares at me. He just basks..his colors come out quite nicely.

Krypton

I've been taking mine out from time to time when the weather is nice. I live on the corner of two streets with a big yard. My little Riley would just bask bask bask until a loud car drove by. Then he'd flatten out and come to me and try to burrow into my leg. :lol: I try to take him out when it's quiet so he won't be so scared, but I think even if it's quiet out, it's probably pretty scary for them for the first several times until they get used to certain sights, smells, and sounds. He even got scared at the sounds of birds chirping (they were sparrows and there weren't any in sight). So this could be one reason they stay still. Riley would be scared but wouldn't show 'signs' of it (such as stress marks) except to flatten out and occasionally try to hide under me. After taking him out several times, he's now started to try and run off by himself (to explore I would hope). So your guy probably just needs time to get used to (or re-used to) the great outdoors and maybe he just enjoys basking out there so much he doesn't want to go anywhere. Riley refuses to move from his favorite basking spots sometimes for hours at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom