outside behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbbrown

Hatchling Member
How did your dragon react to being outside for the first time? Kaisei, puffed out his beard and turned dark. He sorta calmed down after about 15 minutes but then it was time to feed him his breakfast so we took him in. Is that normal for an adult beardie that has never been outside before to react?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Most of my beardies seem very alert and then calm down after a while....some will eat the grass + clover in my yard, a few in the past become scared so they flatten out or try to hide. Some dragons are just more frightened outdoors or of going anywhere new, especially if they are adults + it's all new to them.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
My two boys didn't have much of a reaction at all to being outside, one was a little clingy/skittish at first but adjusted very quickly. My girls on the other hand turn into complete beasts outside lol they puff up and open their mouths at me as if they have no idea who I am. It get's better over time but I still have to be careful around the girls and not make any sudden movements.

cbbrown

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So no reason to freak out if my dragon starts acting different outside? I don't let him out of my sight when he's outside because i'm so scared of him getting loose.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
No I don't think so, he could very well get use to it and grow to love it. It's easier for them to grow into loving it if you start them going outside at a younger age, in my experience. Do you have a leash? I know my girls will bolt all of the sudden and without a leash I'd probably never catch them. I do know that one thing that scares mine the most are birds flying over head, so maybe start him outside where there is cover over head, if available.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Yes that sounds completely normal, I wouldn't worry. You'll find the more you take them out the more used to being outside they get. My girls LOVE being outside, my older girl will even climb the stairs from the living room and scratch to get out the sliding glass door, and when I open it she'll scurry out and immediately pancake when she hits the sun. After they warm up (15-20mins) they'll head from the deck to the lawn and graze on the dandelion and clover. I try to get them out every day, weather permitting. Sunshine is so good for them!

They do get nervous when large birds or planes go overhead though, so if yours is especially skittish a leash isn't a bad idea.

cbbrown

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have a leash, my partner made it. We got kaisei as an adult so we didn't have a chance to take him out as a baby or juvi. I've noticed he wasn't as scared as last time we took him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom