OUTDOOR ENCLOSURES...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuebeardies

Hatchling Member
HI AGAIN! (I PLAN TO BE AN ACTIVE MEMBER HERE)HAHA. I WANT TO PUT MY BEARDIES OUTSIDE! HOW EASY IS IT TO BUILD AN ENCLOSURE? WHAT WILL I NEED. THIS MAY BE A DUMB OUESTION: BUT IS IT POSSIABLE TO KEEP THE DRAGONS OUTSIDE OVER NITE (IF THERE WAS PROPER HEATING INSTALLED)? THANK YOU---KAREN

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forum! First,please turn off your caps lock, all those capital letters are like someone yelling.

I would be very careful about outdoor enclosures. You would need to make sure you have a top over the enclosure and that you either have a bottom or dig far enough down to run you cage material into the ground a foot or two.

Beardies can climb and they can dig and things that eat beardies can pluck them out of enclosures and dig into enclosures.

You woud need to measure temps in the different parts of the enclosure, make sure the ground and plants are free of pesticides and provide basking areas and hiding areas and access to water and food.

I wouldn't take the chance of leaving my beardie out overnight, but some people leave them outside all the time.

rescuebeardies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advise on outdoor enclosures. Doubt I would have left the beardies outside over night (I dont even leave my dogs outside at night), but it was a passing thought because I know of people leaving their dragons outside at night. Just wanted other opinion or 2 or 3... ---KAREN

I would like to build an outdoor enclosure so Dexter can get some natural UV light, our vet said about 20 minutes a week was all that would be needed. I know Barbara (Zak-n-Wheezie's mom) gives all of her beardies outdoor time in an enclosure. I was wondering if anyone had directions for building one.

bambichik39

Juvie Member
I was also looking into building an outdoor enclosure so Pablo could get some natural sunlight. I ended up buying a 65 gallon reptarium from LLL reptile and it works perfectly!! It was only 30 bucks, its great in size, and works great for outdoors. it also folds up, so when I'm not using it I just fold it up and put it in a closet. I plan on buying a few cinder blocks (VERY cheap anywhere), and a piece of plywood to make a "table" to set it on outside. We don't treat our yards due to the dogs, but I know my neighbors, etc do and want to raise his cage off the grass just to be on the safe side. Good luck if you end up building one, but for me the reptarium worked out better.. and was a GREAT price. It's also good bc here in good ol' Missouri we get harsh winters, and I don't think an outdoor cage would withstand that very well, and we don't have room in our garage for the size of enclosure I planned on building. It's also helpful to have the reptarium that I can store in the closet all winter, that way I have a spare tank if ever needed. Just my two cents! Let us know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom