Our Story :) with pics! PLEASE READ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! Both my boyfriend (Pete) and I (Lei) are new to this site. We live in Upstate NY and also own a 4yr old rabbit (Bun Diesel) and a 14yr old cat (Pi).

971737_612505538759868_763852138_n.jpg

2768_588324901177932_1868350609_n.jpg

In December we adoped a year old bearded dragon from a local pet store after falling in love with him immedietly. We named him Alfred Pennyworth (Alphie for short) and he was amazingly loving and took to us instantly. We spoil our animals and he was no different - we were completly new to this but read everything we could and gave him the best. Unfortunately he unexpectly passed away on Mothers Day (in our arms) and it devistated us.

285305_572414446102311_1965238634_n.jpg

OUR ALPHIE

We learned the hard way that caring for a Bearded Dragon requires you to become your own expert. By the time we realized what the pet store told us was wrong and a dumb vet we first took him to turned out to suck big time (we have since found a GREAT one), and that a lot of his problems most likely were from before we adopted him - it was too late. But in that experience we found that we couldn't live without them!

So on May 25th, we adopted two baby bearded dragons from Pet Smart....well they kinda picked us too lol. As we were looking for the healthiest of the bunch, these two came flying down to the glass and danced in front of us like PICK ME PICK ME!!!
972216_613087058701716_2126805468_n.jpg

I tried to measure them a week ago (about 7-8inches long very tiny) but they were very jumpy. At this point they seem adjusted enough to us and their own cages that we should be able to try and measure them again this week and weigh them.

We are not sure of the gender (maybe you can help us lol) - but WE THINK the one on the left in the first picture (the greener one) is the male. Only cause it is slightly bigger than the other one and showed dominance (not agressiveness) over the other one before we seperated them (as seen in the second picture lol)
943237_616173958393026_647004655_n.jpg
943279_616175145059574_978671399_n.jpg

This one we believe is a female - shes smaller and waved a lot when the two were together. Not that it means anything but she just looks like a she to me lol.
480195_616174228392999_103565601_n.jpg
942969_616174128393009_1931982212_n.jpg

We have not named them yet because we are not sure of the gender but they are just so sweet and a great addition to our family!
More pics soon! We love our babies!!!! Any advice on raising babies are very welcomed!!! We want nothing but the best for them!

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
If they are living in the same-*reads that they have been separated* .....Oh. Nevermind ^^;
They're adorable little beardies, though. =3

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
In which case, you're already on the right track. And the dominating pic was hilarious XD
As for sexing, I believe females can be dominant? Terra's currently the only Beardie I've worked with, so I'd let someone more experienced give info there. ^^;

zandi202

BD.org Addict
It's hard to sex via arm waving and head bobbing/dominance alone. Once they are 9-10" long you can post of a pic of their tail up at 90 degrees for us to look at and help you :D

They a cute little babies! Sorry to hear about Alphie.

LeiPete2013

Original Poster
Thank you! Alphie will be missed!
Ill have to measure the babies this week to see exact length and the weight. They are starting their first shed already so we may have a little growth spirt!
Watching them grow is so exciting!!!

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
I've always kept a growth chart for my beardies w/ pics each time you measure after a shed.. as far as babies go I've always kept mine well hydrated, offered "salads" from day one, stuck w/ the vitamin regimen and watched my temps.. getting them well acclimated to fit into the household and having tons of fun w/ them.. they get so big, so quick.... :p

Firebonbon

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry about your loss, I've only had my dragon for about 5 days and I'd already be devastated without him! D: But I'm glad you love the little guys, they are so cute! Maybe you can name them names similar to Alphie and they can continue his legacy. ;)

lexus465

Juvie Member
You have adorable new babies!

Also, I must say Bun Diesel is by far the best name for a rabbit I have ever heard! :lol:

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Alphie was gorgeous, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm very glad it didn't discourage you from getting another beardie though. Or in your case 2. Your new little ones are super cute! Unfortunately it's very difficult to tell the sex on little ones. :? If you have a definite male it will be easy to see, but sometimes one that loooks female to start out with ends up being a male. I speak from personal experience as I recently discovered that my sweet Kalypso is not a female. I still want to call her a she :lol: . But, HIS hemipenes didn't show up till he was 9 months old. You can post pics of their bums, (a close up shot while holding up the tail).And I'm sure several of us will render our opinion. If you have a definite male that should be pretty clear, however females may be probable.
Amy :D

LeiPete2013

Original Poster
Thank you so much Amy!
Funny story about knowing the gender... When I bought Bun I was told she was a boy....so I named her Astiare (after Fred Astaire) well she would dance around with this pink boa that was part of a cat toy and I started jokingly calling her Liza with a Z lol. When she was finally 6 months old I had her fixed and with a male it's a simple process so when the vet called during the procedure I got worried something happened....but it was to let me know he was a she and they needed my consent to still fix her since with females it required an operation. So needless to say I guess she was trying to tell me something with the pink boa lol!

I'm definitely going to post some bum pics of these two cuties for all you experts to look at :) I just love this site and thank god for it because there really is so much wrong and conflicting information out there for the care of these guys if your a noobie!

LeiPete2013

Original Poster
lexus465":3cousr4s said:
You have adorable new babies!

Also, I must say Bun Diesel is by far the best name for a rabbit I have ever heard! :lol:

Thank you!!!!
Lol Bun is a beast ... She's as big as the cat....I can't even buy rabbit furniture and toys cause they are way too small so I have to get cat stuff lol! She is litter trained (thanks to the cat lol) and her cage is a dog cage made for Large dogs. She really is a little stinker... She loves playing tricks on you and fooling around!
Our funny bunny lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom