Our New Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Well I briefly mentioned the new occupant in the lower enclosure of our new "beardie condo" in "Viv Pics Only" thread and I will now officially introduce our new girl who we rescued from a pet store yesterday.

My husband has dubbed her "Sweetie"

If you look close enough in the second pic you can see that she is missing one of her feet and part of her tail is also missing.

She has been at the pet store since she was hatched and my husband and I have been watching and waiting for someone to purchase her. A month ago we noticed she was missing a foot and part of her tail. We frequent that particular pet store a couple of times a week so I was more saddened each time I would go and she was still in that cage. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and I told my husband that we had to take her. I knew that her afflictions would not hinder her in any way ( she is quite fast ), but I knew if we did not take her out of there, no one else would buy her (she's not whole) and she would just end up being a breeder and not really loved by anyone. Soooooo we brought her home to be spoiled just like her new brother Nero.

Her first day was slow going, she did not eat and she was one big STRESSMARK! But we got home from work today and all of her greens and squash were gone and this is what we saw:

And speaking of big brother Nero, once he realized she was in the room, we saw a beard:

and he started bobbing his head. This was the first time we had ever seen him do this so we were quite amused. My husband asked if we could rename him Quagmire (Giggity, Giggity). I told him absolutely not.

Anyway, she seems to be settled now. She's had what we assume is her first bath (she drank tons of water, poor thing) and she is now curled up in her cave fast asleep.

We are happy she's here. Welcome Home Sweetie!

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
This was the first time we had ever seen him do this so we were quite amused. My husband asked if we could rename him Quagmire (Giggity, Giggity). I told him absolutely not.
That is too funny! :lol: What a cute lil girl! Im so glade you desided to rescue her! Great lil pics thanks for sharring!
Im always over at my local pet store checkin up on the itty bittes (as I love to call them). They take good care of them at the pet store I go to though, its sort of a all natural pet store that is family owned. The only protest I have is that they have a coil uvb in there for them. other than that they have it made. I was in this weekend and was lookin at them and they must have been really hungery because they ran over to thier lil food bowl and looked at me liek FEED ME :whip: One of the babies thought his brothers feets in the bowl were crickets, and kept trying to snatch them up with his tounge. I found a caretaker and said, "I think your lil beardies are hungery they are standing in the food bowl," etc. She went right away and got them some greens and crickets for them to eat. :D Then told me how much she loved them etc. etc. I wish ALL pet stors took care of there animals this way. (Also, thier fish tanks are the cleanest I have ever seen! Not a single dead fish in any of the tanks!) That's how it should be done ya know!

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yeah, this particular pet store is quite clean as well and they specialize in reptiles. I just don't think they realize that in general when people go into a pet store to buy a pet, they are looking for one that has all of it's parts. I myself would be lying if I said that if I was not a beardie owner and I just happened to see her, I would say "AWWWW" and feel sorry for her, but I would probably have moved on to look at something more else. It's human nature and the majority of people do it. I have stood in that pet store and WATCHED people do it to her. They would look at her, realize she had parts missing, point, feel sorry for her and then move on.

I think this particular pet store thought that because she was a "red" and because she was female they could sell her for what they were asking (we talked the owner down, my husband is going to build him an enclosure), but I know the only reason anyone else would have bought her is to breed her and I guess I just wanted more than that for her. She needed some love (and some water based on the way she was drinking in her bath yesterday).

That cute little face poking out of her cave this morning when we turned the lights on was all I needed to know that we definitely did the right thing for her. I hope you all will enjoy watching her grow up with me.

On a side note - I wish to thank everyone on this site who has ever posted advice. I never would have ventured into this wonderful world of slavery if it hadn't been for you.

-Robin

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
She looks adorable.
Its great she can still climb so much with her missing foot.
Dex had a missing hand and was never really a fan of climbing.

Please do keep us updated with lots of pictures!
Holly

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I had the perfect pic oportunity last night while she was in the bath and I could just kick myself for not getting the picture..

While taking her bath the night before she was swimming around and drinking and dunking her head so last night we kind of expected her to do the same. NOOOOOO.. Last night the whole time she sat in the sink on her bath mat looking up at us like "What? Where's the bubbles? I thought this was a jaccuzzi." If she does it again tonight I am definitely going to snap the picture.

I was so sure she would go through relocation stress but she has adapted so well. She even jumped onto my husbands hand right before her bath. I haven't seen him beam like that in a while. She's definitely got him :whip: AHHHH the life of a slave. Love, love love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom