Our new babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masick

Hello everyone! My name is Amanda. My fiance (a beardie old timer) and I (newbie) have just expanded our family to include two baby beardies! We haven't named either yet (besides calling them Skinny and Fatty to distinguish the two lol) because we are waiting till we know their sex. They are only a couple months old both born at the local reptile shop. Healthy and happy little guys as far as I can tell. When we decided to expand out reptile family (we also have a male veiled chameleon named Bizzaro) I decided we needed a better idea for a home for our little guys (and possibly girl(s)). So we got a little creative. I got a old entertainment center from the local thrift store for 25 bucks and after some hacking and sawing came up with a two set cage for the little buggers. We took out the shelves and doors, put out plastic on the inside walls (for Bizzaro) and all along the floor. Added linoleum to make it easy to clean and because the stone looks nice (and the texture makes it so much easier for them to get around!). Screening was added to the backside for air circulation (front side of bearded is sliding Plexiglas) and then hooks to hang lighting etc.
Below are some pictures
1007101441.jpg

and after
1012101534.jpg

The uv light is hanging lower because the breeder said it was too high for the little babies to get the full benefit.

Here is a close up of the babies side (Skinny is on the top branch, Fatty on the bottom)
1021101505.jpg

Hot side is staying between 95-110 (although they like to sit a bit higher to the heat lamp where the temp is closer to 115). The cold side is about 85. Night time temp never goes below 70 (breeder said 65 was ok, but I like to be safe).

Feeding is no problem.

I go through about 100 crickets every 2-3 days, dusted with calcium and kept in a shallow plastic tub (sort of like a shoe box) they jump in and eat then jump back out with no problems. I got this idea from the breeder as well because Skinny needed to be fed separately to make sure he/she got some crickets as well. First day I put Skinny in there he/she ate with absolutely NO problems lol!) the next day I put the tub in the cage (its huge btw) and went to get Skinny off his rock, Fatty jumped right in and got a bunch. I put Skinny down and went to refill the tub (there were only a few left) and Skinny jumped right on and ate what was left (and then some). So, after making sure that Skinny was eating (and he/she is!) I now leave the tub in there during the day with about 50 or so crickets for them to jump in and eat at their leisure. The crickets can't get out and the beardies seem to have no problem getting in and out.

Greens are also no problem. Breeder fed them greens everyday and I am adjusting their diet to something a little more healthy soon. He had them eating carrots and romaine lettuce, which after lots of reading and research I found not to be the greatest diet so I am starting to add some better stuff (mustard greens this week, maybe some cactus pear or leaf). Just wanted them to adjust to their new home before changing too much as far as diet goes. I keep a water dish with fresh water everyday (bottled, spoiled I know, but our tap water is gross) and clean and disinfect daily (they think its a potty dish or something !). I also have been soaking them every three or four days (Skinny was shedding already after only one week with us!) as per advice by the breeder.

Attitude:

Our little guys are both great, Skinny seems to be far more mellow while Fatty is a bit of a handful. Fatty seems to be more skittish and runs from us (even has black bearded me and tried to bite me!) when approached, but I handle him/her everyday until he/she relaxes and then put him/her back. Its sort of funny that he/she does that too because if I put my hand in there with lettuce he/she will eat right out of my hand! :lol: Its only been three weeks so I am still trying to get that one to come around.

I have only one concern right now and that is that Skinny has taken to climbing up the screening on the back of the cage and jumping onto the top of the UV light (it gets warm but not hot at all). I wouldn't really care except that up there he/she isn't getting any of the UV light. Is this a problem? I have thought about adding plastic to the inside screening as a way to keep him/her from climbing it but wasn't sure if I should or if it was a problem at all.

Like I said, I am a newbie at all of this, my fiance is a old timer, but I am the one who spends all day at home with the little guys and have quickly become a HUGE fan! (Bizzaro was my pet, the dragons his, but we switched lol). I have been watching this site and reading the entries for about two months now and feel like it was time to make it official. I am a beardie mommy!

I am so very excited to be apart of this dragon loving form and meeting all of you! Any advice and tips would be VERY welcomed (I am learning that my fiance may have had beardies before but has no idea what he is really doing!)

Amanda Masick

Livey

Extreme Poster
Hello Amanda :wave:
The only thing i can recomened is separating them, beardies don't like to be housed together

Masick

Original Poster
Livey,

The breeder I got them from said that they are fine together as long as the habitat is large enough and as long as they aren't fighting and are both eating. I am at home with them all day and so far they both seem fine together (I can just sit and watch them all day lol). Occasionally I will take out the smaller one (who is getting much bigger very quickly) and feed him/her separately if I didn't physically watch him/her eat, but that has only been a few times. I have a separator for their home in case I do need to put them apart but so far they seem to really enjoy being together. I know that they are social animals so I would rather them be together. I think I'll go do some more research on this and see if it is really something I should be concerned with (is it?).

Amanda

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Livey":i6qzp4ul said:
Hello Amanda :wave:
The only thing i can recomened is separating them, beardies don't like to be housed together

I agree. When they are babies they may seem ok together but once they get older they will no doubt fight and one or both could be seriously hurt. Often pet shops will say they can be housed together but are not usually clued up about bearded dragons.

Bearded Dragons do not "need friends."

When Bearded dragons come across each other in the wild, they will often bask together, determine territory, which may include fighting, and they perform courting and breeding rituals; then they take off and go about their own business.

Bearded Dragons do not live in families in the wild, nor do they have any parental responsibilities for their young beyond producing, laying, and safely burying their eggs, they do not come back to check on them, protect them, or care for them in any way.

If you do try to keep more than one bearded dragon in the same enclosure and they are less than 4-6 months of age, it is extremely important that they both be the same or very similar in size AND weight. Otherwise the more dominant one will take over and boss around the smaller likely causing stress, health issues, inability to attain full size, injuries, and many other issues you may not recognize until it is too late.

It is NOT recommended to house more than one Bearded Dragon in any enclosure once they reach puberty beginning at 4 months of age. No matter the size of the enclosure and no matter the gender mix, no matter how well they seem to be getting along.

Lovely set up and gorgeous beardies, congratulations. Its really hard to determine the sex until they are older, mine is 6 months and i still don't know so you might want to just guess on the names :)

Livey

Extreme Poster
Well the breeder in incorrect in this case,
The larger one will no doubt dominate over the smaller one..
That advice is every where over the site,
And the stories iv read are horrific ...
and resulted in very ill dragons even death....

Masick

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice and the info. I will put in the separator for them and make it permanent. Is it ok for them to see one another or will the end up doing something like :banghead: ? In other words should I use wood instead of the Plexiglas?

Lovely set up and gorgeous beardies, congratulations. Its really hard to determine the sex until they are older, mine is 6 months and i still don't know so you might want to just guess on the names :)

Thank you very much! I am excited about having them and trying to work out all the kinks still lol. 6 months is a long time to keep calling them Fatty and Skinny lol. I will take your advice about naming them, maybe Night and Day (one is dark and mellow, the other is light and bit aggressive atm). Ill run it by their daddy later lol.

Amanda

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
aw night and day, i like those names. I know when they are older it can be stressful seeing each other, especially if one is male and the other female so wood might be better in the long run. Happy beardie parenting :)

Masick

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome nair88 :)

catUK":52u4zmqe said:
aw night and day, i like those names. I know when they are older it can be stressful seeing each other, especially if one is male and the other female so wood might be better in the long run. Happy beardie parenting :)

My idea of Night and Day may not fit them, noticed today that the smaller of the two is becoming a lot lighter. I'm going to wait and see how that goes. My fiance isn't really warming up to Night and Day as names (he wants Bob and Not-Bob :roll: ). Anyway, putting the wood inside to keep them apart tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Amanda

Edit: On a side note, fiddled with some different things for their salad today. Little guy/gal absolutely loves pumpkin! No luck with the mustard greens though :( Trying some other things tomorrow.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Masick":2v4hz4fe said:
My idea of Night and Day may not fit them, noticed today that the smaller of the two is becoming a lot lighter. I'm going to wait and see how that goes. My fiance isn't really warming up to Night and Day as names (he wants Bob and Not-Bob :roll: ). Anyway, putting the wood inside to keep them apart tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Amanda

Typical for men to want silly names (not-bob) ha ha, although i do kind of like that idea. As for the name thing, my beardie is called Terry and i've just discovered he is a she! Think i'll just change the spelling to Terri, although reverting to calling him my little princess instead of my handsome fella might give him (her??) a complex :?

Hi! I picked neutral names for my babies. I didn't know their genders when I got them. I'm also a fan of naming animals after food. One of my ferrets is named Sashimi and I had a dog named Bulgogi when I was growing up. If your boyfriend likes silly names, food names might be the way to go. Noodle, popcorn or pretzel sound fun!

Masick

Original Poster
Typical for men to want silly names (not-bob) ha ha, although i do kind of like that idea. As for the name thing, my beardie is called Terry and i've just discovered he is a she! Think i'll just change the spelling to Terri, although reverting to calling him my little princess instead of my handsome fella might give him (her??) a complex

CatUK,

Terry is a nice neutral name, it can go either way. I had a friend in high school whoes name was Terry (with a y) and she was a girl. It sounds like the same thing my landlady did. She has a pet chicken that she named “Girly Bird” and 6 months later it turns out its a boy. Lmao! She just shrugged and kept the name. Even his chicken coup is all decked out in pink. Funniest thing ever. Dunno if he has a complex, but I can tell you that he isn't much of a rooster!
carpedraconum":6e53d0jc said:
Welcome, and cute little dragons. Enjoy them and keep them safe.

Drew

Drew,

Thanks for the welcome! They are my babies lol.

cupcakenbandits":6e53d0jc said:
Hi! I picked neutral names for my babies. I didn't know their genders when I got them. I'm also a fan of naming animals after food. One of my ferrets is named Sashimi and I had a dog named Bulgogi when I was growing up. If your boyfriend likes silly names, food names might be the way to go. Noodle, popcorn or pretzel sound fun!

Cipcakenbandits,

I love popcorn as a name, its pretty awesome. I will have to think of some crazy things. I saw that you have a veiled chameleon. I have a male veiled chameleon :) I love the little guy, although my fiance seemed to take more interest in him than me. I got the chameleon as a pet and he got the dragons but we switched lol. Or rather, I clean and feed all of them while he plays with them.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :)

Amanda

Masick":1jqnl6zy said:
Cipcakenbandits,

I love popcorn as a name, its pretty awesome. I will have to think of some crazy things. I saw that you have a veiled chameleon. I have a male veiled chameleon :) I love the little guy, although my fiance seemed to take more interest in him than me. I got the chameleon as a pet and he got the dragons but we switched lol. Or rather, I clean and feed all of them while he plays with them.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :)

Amanda

Yeah, we adopted a male and a female veiled (with no intentions of breeding). I really love them. They are so beautiful and I love watching them sleep. Unfortunately, I'm a little too high strung for them. They hiss every time I handle them. So then I start shaking. My boyfriend takes them for me and they settle down!

Masick

Original Poster
Mine likes to clime into my hair and we have a heck of a time getting him down from there. He'll hiss at my fiance when he tries to get him out of the cage, but doesn't seem to mind when I take him out. I just love his colors and eyes. Those eyes are so wacky! Do you keep yours in any live plants? If so what type? How old are yours?

Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom