Our Little Happy Lair! Featuring Copper, Onyx, and Ruby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing what almost 4 months can make. That's when my love got me Copper, September 5, 2011. He has 4 other sub-adult beardies who currently reside at his ex's home. Copper was the ideal pet, and we have had no problems with him from the start. His vivacious & mischievous attitude, instantly brings a smile to our faces. We first started putting him on our bed to roam, however once he figured out how to jump off, there was no stopping him. He's definitely man of the house, and has that Alpha-male attitude to go with it, even though he's probably the youngest.

Shortly after, we rescued Onyx from Petco. At first, we were very concerned about Onyx, as Copper was at home when handled. Onyx, was a completely different story. At nearly twice the size of Copper, Onyx was as skittery as they come. We also had to see how Onyx managed his hunting and moving, as he/she has a significant tail nip, as well as missing 4 out of 5 toes on it's left rear foot. After we had figured all of this, then it seemed that he/she was impacted. Sluggish, barely eating, barely moving, but still very skittish, a few warm baths everyday, with a belly message, seemed to remedy that. Today, Onyx is very laid back, and a favorite of my love's youngest daughter. Though for a while we referred to Onyx as "him" we have recently began to rethink this, and are just awaiting the right time to double check him/her.

Nearly a month ago, Ruby joined our happy little home. Though I was anticipating a dragon half her size, she came home via John at Imperial Dragons, and she was twice as beautiful as her pic! Her disposition has earned her the nickname Big Momma. :lol:

Seeing Copper and Ruby interact is priceless...Copper, despite his size, acts all tough, bobs his head, puffs and darkens his beard...I'm still trying to get a pic, he's too darn cute! Ruby is much more...ambitious when it comes to interacting with Onyx. Simply because, Onyx doesn't care either way.

CoppersMomma

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks I do too :D

It's taken me a few days, but it's been busy around here. Since Wednesday was the 1st, it was time for the babies monthly weigh and measure in. I was overwhelmingly shocked at Ruby. She weighed in at 288g, a gain of over 60, and measured in at 18.5 inches (nose to tip of tail), a gain of 2.5 inches! Copper gained respectively...150g (a gain of 35) and 15 inches (a gain of 2). He has moved passed Onyx, lengthwise at least. Our little Onyx, our snuggler, weighs 160g, and measures 13.5 inches (gains of 38g and 1inch).

We have been contemplating changing Copper and Onyx's tanks. This past week, we did modify Copper's. He absolutely adores his Wooden bridge. We made it out of dowels and sanded down wooden handles.
Coppersre-vampedviv.jpg

We've been thinking about making Onyx a shorter tank...We have been thinking about making it 4x2x1.5 This is partially going to be done for two reasons. The first, I can't reach the two back corners on her tank (on the higher levels) where she likes to spend her time. The second, goes with the first, she very rarely goes down to the bottom of the tank. She's totally getting spoiled, as she has us trained to give her greens in close proximity to her. With this in mind, we plan on only making her areas a few inches off of the floor. The only time that she actually will go to the floor is when it's Cricket Time.

Here's a question (okay, two). Can a beardie be near- or far-sighted? Also, we recently got a package of Coconut Water (10% pure, Naked Brand). I was reading all the human benefits and was wondering if it would be okay for our babies...The 'human' boys don't like them, and I feel horrible just dumping them down the drain.

Evergreen

Juvie Member
I don't know one way or the other on the water but I just wanted to throw out there that my boy does the same thing- spends 0 time on the geound except for a couple minutes eating. and he's somehow telepathly guilt tripped me into putting little piles of greens on his raised areas ><

Good luck on rearanging/making a new tank!

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
CoppersMomma":3pw6p7k9 said:
Here's a question (okay, two). Can a beardie be near- or far-sighted? Also, we recently got a package of Coconut Water (10% pure, Naked Brand). I was reading all the human benefits and was wondering if it would be okay for our babies...The 'human' boys don't like them, and I feel horrible just dumping them down the drain.

Hello again, I'm not sure about the coconut water, I would say no, but you can ask beautiful dragons who does a wonderful print out of foods nutritious for beardies: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/
She may also have the answer to you sight question as well. I do know that beardies can have problems with their eyes some times, but not sure about near verses farsighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom