Our beardie ate fireflies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimanddawn08

Our dragon is a male and is around 4 years old, he has always been in perfect health till my kids fed him fireflies this week, he had thrown up all the bugs he ate and the vet told my wife and I to give him pedialite for kids to keep him hydrated, but it has been three days now and he is in and out of sleepiness and is still not trying to eat for himself yet, can anyone tell me is there is more we can do for him or if this has happened to anyone else, we are doing all we can for him to keep him alive, is there any other cures or ideas we can try?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Well you have passed the most critical time period. Fire flies are deadly to dragons, so the fact he threw them up and is still alive is heartening ! Keep up with the pedialite and seek veterinary help. A qualified vet can get him back on his feet !
Janie.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
This is definitely very good that you dragon is still alive, usually it's almost like instant death
But a vet visit is in order so you should go there and hopefully they can help or message Drache

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry to hear that your beardie got ahold of a firefly. Yes, indeed it is probably a good thing that he immediately threw it up. I also would recommend getting your beardie to a vet asap!
Good Luck!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

WOW he is still alive? Amazing, that does not happen most of the time.
I do think he needs Ringers Lactate solution to help rehydrate him from all of the vomiting he has gone through. He should probably get some critical care as well, to get something into his system to help absorb & flush out some of the remaining toxins of the fireflys.
He must be one tough dragon, for sure.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

jimanddawn08

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice and concern, but on the good news of things, Spike is alive and doing quite well at the moment, my wife and I had to force feed him childrens pedialite and after a few days now we fed him some lettuce for the first time and he ate it, he is just today eating for himself and we are very blessed to still have him around....just thought we would give you all an update on him and thank you again for all your concern and replies.......

Jim and Dawn

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
jimanddawn08":31352 said:
Thank you all for your advice and concern, but on the good news of things, Spike is alive and doing quite well at the moment, my wife and I had to force feed him childrens pedialite and after a few days now we fed him some lettuce for the first time and he ate it, he is just today eating for himself and we are very blessed to still have him around....just thought we would give you all an update on him and thank you again for all your concern and replies.......

Jim and Dawn

I am so excited for you! I love happy endings :love5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

GREAT news Spike made it. That is amazing, not many survive ingesting the fireflys.
I bet he will never eat another one, even if the kids try to feed it to him again. He will remember getting sick like that!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom