Our 5 month old bearded has bad gout! Please help! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry you lost Fernie like that. :cry: That is terrible. Poor thing, his system just couldn't handle the damage.
I am glad that he was happy with you at the end though, even if he was impacted & had nice colors. He is not in pain anymore.

My sincere condolences.

Tracie

shaninja

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. Yes, I think everything was far too damaged by the time he even started showing symptoms of gout. We are glad we gave him the best life possible for the short time he was here. We are getting a necropsy and histopathology? done and will have the result in a week and a half. We will let you know what happened.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is so hard to lose one, very devastating. :cry:
Let us know what the necropy results reveal. If you need anything, just let us know.
Their kidneys can actually be up to 75% damaged & they can function normally before they begin to show decreasing functionally.

Tracie

shaninja

Original Poster
We got the autopsy results today for Fern. The impaction resulted from the enlarged kidneys. His kidneys were very damaged. Deposits of tophi and granulomas were found in and around most of the joints, in his kidneys, connective tissues and lung. His kidneys certainly were shutting down due to the severity of his condition. He also had a megacolon and fatty liver disease. Coccidia +1 were found in the intestine. We knew that was there already though. There was no evidence of adenovirus or microsporidia. Our vet told us that for him to develop a condition so severe and serious and early in life, he must have had renal disease prior to coming to us at the age of 2-3 months. The report mentioned coccidia causing dehydration due to diarrhea but we never noticed any diarrhea from him in the 4 months we had him. It said that the dehydration could have caused the renal damage and gout but our vet thinks whatever initially caused this, was very early on in his life. The report also noted that the findings also indicated a metabolic disorder as well. As far as the rest of him goes, he had normal muscles and body otherwise. We miss our Fernie, but obviously, we made the right decision to euthanize him. Hopefully this information can help other people and their beardies. We don't yet understand where the fatty liver disease could have come from though. He wasn't fed an inappropriate diet and certainly wasn't overfed. He was actually underweight and wasn't old enough to develop any conditions related to being overfed/overweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom