Oscar is home and doesn't like not having sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbr292

Oscar is a 7 year old bearded dragon that was given to me today. At his last home he had a compact uvb, a red "night light" and a basking light. I tried to follow that picture in the "light for newbies" post. The light above his rock is his basking light, the middle is a CHE-because it gets cold here at night-and the other end is just a normal house light. The tube light in back is a reptisun 10.0. He has been on calci sand most of his life (I'm guessing play sand before that) I took the sand out and put kinda rough tiles down. He doesn't seem to like walking on it too much, but I am hoping he will get used to it.
I wanted to post a picture and get some feedback..I'm paranoid because I want to get him as comfortable as possible. He was pretty stressed when he got here.
85276-3619386028.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your lighting looks good now. I'm glad to see you're able to give him such an improvement. He may take a few weeks to adjust to the changes but should be OK. If he has trouble walking on the tile, you can put something down over it like shelf liner with a bit of texture so it's a bit easier to get traction.

Bbr292

Original Poster
I'm worried about him today, he hasn't left his hide today. His head is out and he seems to be looking around a little but hasn't come out since I put his lights on and hasn't eaten.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He may just feel secure in there which is OK for a little while. Have you double checked the temps? Are you using a good temp gun or probe thermometer or are you using the dial on the back wall to read temps? You'll want the top of the hide to be just over 100 with 90s on the warm side and the cool side should come in at about 75-80 or so to give him a nice gradient to choose from.

Bbr292

Original Poster
I'm not sure if the dial is working properly. I have a temp gun I got on amazon that I have been using. The top of his rock is a little over 100 but the floor in front is about 85. It gradually cools to 71 at the other end of the tank.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the dials tend to be pretty inaccurate but will give you a general idea about ambient temps. The temp gun should give you nice accurate readings and it sounds like the range is good so he's probably just taking shelter to feel a bit more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom