ornamental kale/cabbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

covedweller

Juvie Member
home depot and lowe's have some potted plants called ornamental kale and ornamental cabbage. this may be a stupid question but does anyone know if these ornamental plants can be eaten by beardies? if they could be grown in pots on my patio, that would be a lot simpler than buying it at the grocery store every week. thanks, diane

dawnki

Juvie Member
I thought it was another plant you were referring to.

Here's some info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale

"Many varieties of kale are referred to as "flowering kales" and are grown mainly for their ornamental leaves, which are brilliant white, red, pink, lavender, blue or violet in the interior or the rosette. Most plants sold as "ornamental cabbage" are in fact kales. Ornamental kale is as edible as any other variety, provided it has not been treated with pesticides or other harmful chemicals". [4]

dawnki

Juvie Member
neecie":e5861 said:
How could you tell if the kale was sprayed before buying??? Maybe start with seeds, huh.

That would be tricky. Personally I wouldn't trust anything marked as 'ornamental' ----starting your own from seed sounds the best and safest.

neecie

Juvie Member
You gave me an idea..............I'm gonna try growing maybe 2 plants (in pots) just for my Sandy. I'm in California and can grow all year. Thanks for the unexpected suggestion. My son has Drago and I'll give him some too. Yea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom