Oranges for dubia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
I know that people say that the dubia breed more with oranges, so I have been throwing some in the colony and out of everything I put in there, they love the oranges the most! Always eaten completely! What I was wondering, can you give them too much oranges? Or can I keep a steady supply of them in there?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as they are eating them before they turn moldy, its fine as a staple food for them. Provide food with protein too though like crushed cat/dog food etc.

-Brandon

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Cool, thanks man! I have my own little blend lol, some cat food, bran, and a little bit of cheerios lol, they seem to like it alright, I also put a lot of veggies in

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My secret blend! Shh don't tell anyone!

Ground dog food
Ground honey combs ceral (the generic kind :mrgreen: )

Dog food for protein, cereal for the ton of vitamins it had.

-Brandon

geckoboy3

Oooh, BUSTED! We're going to use that blend.....You better call the cops LOL..... If it was a secret, why would you post it?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So someone more knowledgeable on dubias might critiqe it and tell me what I should change.... :study:

Just kidding. But im sure their are better blends out there.

-Brandon

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I almost bought some fish food to throw into my big bag of food, but I wasn't sure, super high protein though, like 47%!! but it said something about new chemicals to clear and not cloud water, so I was kind of leary about it haha

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
claudiusx":jljh257j said:
My secret blend! Shh don't tell anyone!

Ground dog food
Ground honey combs ceral (the generic kind :mrgreen: )

Dog food for protein, cereal for the ton of vitamins it had.

-Brandon

Pssttt - I'm going to use your recipe as I'm getting low in roach chow! Thank you! :D

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
People at the Arachnopets say giving roaches some oranges (fruits and veggies) do help them breed. I've been keeping tarantulas, and some bugs, for over 12 years, so I know about this stuff, too. I love bugs!

ViciousCharmander

Hatchling Member
We use a mixture of cheap cat food (30# for $17) and game bird feed, it has like 35%+ protein in it. I buy it for the button quail so its not like I'm going out of the way to get it LOL. and its 45-50 cents a pound.

ATLBeardedDragons

Juvie Member
You can NEVER give them too much citrus. It definetly AMP's up their breeding behavior. You MUST compensate the sugar and fluids with some protien/fat content in their gutload.

I personally cover the bottom of their tupperware with a 1/4'' thick layer of gutload and leave oranges on the "cool" sie of the tupperware so they dont dehydrate and cook. If kept on your HEAT PAD side of the tupperware.... They tend to mold over easier as well. I hav found that a SOLID COLORED TUPPERWARE works a lot better than a clear tupperware due to the inaccesability of light. Dubia's are nocturnal so they will breed 24/7/365 if it is dark 100% of the time.

[email protected]

www.AtlantaBeardedDragons.com

sincerely,
:blob5: ABD :blob8:

(954) 756-4086

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I found that most bugs don't need that much nutrients. Tarantulas for example can feed on crickets that have not been gutloaded and fed properly and thrive. Scorpions also don't need that much nutrients. Veggies and fruits are good food sources for roaches of all species.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lots of things don't need a lot of vitamins and minerals but that doesn't mean that is the ideal situation for them.

-Brandon

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I think it's something their digestive system can handle well. Animals are adapted to eat the food they evolved to eat, so they tend to do better on the stuff. Cattle grow really big just eating veggies and grass. Tarantulas live as long as 30, 40 year fed on crickets that were not well fed and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom