Orange tinged irate and crazy behaviour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again from the great white North!! Seddie’s Mom back with new questions and concerns. *sigh*

The good news is that since we last posted, he’s really flourished thanks to all your help! He’s now a stunning citrus tiger baby that’s almost 20g and 9.5” long!!!

Our tank set up has not changed since (20 gallon, 15” T5 5.0 uvb with 75 w basking bulb. Basking distance is 4-6” from bulbs. Additionally we cut quarter sized holes into the mesh where the UV comes in ensuring he gets maximum exposure.hot side of tank is 110-112 and cool side is 80. At night, temps go down to around 70. We have probes on both sides of the tank and use a digital thermometer to spot check)

My newest issue is with regards to urate. Seddie poops like clockwork twice a day. They have been solid with bright white urate. Sometimes a little water around it, which I’ve read is normal. He’s turned into a real little champ in to eating department. 20-30 good sized crickets a day and he eats about a handful of greens a day (a mix of romaine and green or red leaf lettuce with the occasional carrot grate). I am still offering a 5 cc slurry a day that is repashy grub pie with a pinch of calcium d3 mixed in warm water (the calcium is given 5x per week and multivitamin the other 2 days) I do this as he refuses crickets or greens if dusted.

Our crickets are kept in a 2 gallon tank and I have been using both the fluker’s powder cricket food and the orange cubes. Because Seddie has been burning through his crickies we finally felt confident to buy a large batch. 500 to be exact. Because there were so many I threw in quite a few of the orange cubes. I noticed here a day or so ago, Seddie started refusing the crickets. The tank I keep them in stinks to high heavens (I hate crickets and wish desperately Dubias were legal in Canada!) the cubes were sucked dry and when I fish them out, these crickets almost leak fluid they’re so juicy. Also about a day ago, I discovered a light orange tinge to his urate. Additionally, his last two poops have been quite runny.

I’ve read many causes of orange urate - from dehydration to calcium overload. He doesn’t drink in the bath but his water dish is half gone when we wake him in the morning so I’m assuming it’s not just evaporation. His skin is lovely and he’s been shedding like a maniac! He’s getting the dragon wrinkles around his legs like I see in photos. I’m just not sure. And then it hit me! Maybe the orange tint is from the orange cubes we’re giving the crickets??? We threw this batch out, suspecting there might be something g wrong with them and bought 200 more. I sterilized the tank and have now put in kale and carrots with just a small dish of the flukers powder.

Also of interest - possibly unrelated - his behaviour! He’s been a nut ball! Running all over and glass surfing. We have a hammock for him in our front window and he makes a bee line for it every time he’s out. The corner where he’s glass surfing incidentally faces said hammock lol.

Any thoughts guys?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Its the cricket cubes. The first thing I always ask on these questions is what the feeders eat. The cricket cubes tint the urate that color. Now that he's eating more of them, its more evident in the urate.

Switch the crickets to potatoes and carrots and you should see the urate whiten up.

Your setup sounds fine by the way :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom