Opinions on Where to Get BDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessu892

I was wondering what some of you guys think about where a Bearded Dragon is purchased. I feel like going to Petsmart might not be the smartest or healthiest choice, but I would like to get one fairly young and it has seemed difficult to find any to rescue around me. I've tried Craigslist and looked at online breeders but I really don't want to have one shipped to me and they can be pricey.

I guess what I'm getting at is of those of you who have purchased at a pet store, such as Petsmart, what has your experience been with quality, friendliness, and appetite of those babies?

(Just some background, this will be my first BD but not first reptile. I'm well studied on all the requirements for the best care and almost have everything purchased and ready.)

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
I see that you are in the SE. Have you checked out any reptile shows? There is just about one every week during the summer. There you will find the morphs and prices although a little higher than pet stores are worth the extra and no shipping. This weekend there were two that I knew of.

Also there are really good independent reptile stores in just about every big city. If you gave us a city nearby, someone can help you locate them.

Also there are rescue groups that are not published. Vets that specialize in reptile care have contacts.

As far as picking out a BD, anywhere..... Big chain, craigslist(that scares me the most), independent, or breeder...... you have to look at how the employees interact with the dragons, some are great and some just want a paycheck. Most people know the right things to say, but only 25% of them actually do what they say as my mama always told me. So its buyer beware and you will have to be ready to ask lots of questions and throw them off the track to see how they react.

If you need any help just ask someone here and we'll point you towards answers.

jessu892

Original Poster
Hmm. Well I am near Atlanta so that'd be cool if anyone knew of some reptile focused stores or where I might be able to find any. I think I'm kinda looking for reassurance that if I purchased from Petsmart that it doesn't mean I automatically have a disadvantaged dragon if that makes sense. (I used to work at Petsmart so I am familiar with the ways they are treated which actually isn't bad at all but obviously not optimal.)

wmwelch

There is a Repticon show at the Gwinnett Fairgrounds next month towards the end of the month. There have been a lot of bearded dragons at the last few shows that I attended. Just google Repticon Atlanta.

Wendy

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Personally i'd buy from a reptile show or a breeder only. It's worth the xtra cash to know what the parents look like and to know everything about the baby you are buying. Plus I feel that breeders put a little more into their beardies since their reputation is riding on them and most(not all) breed them cause they like beardies, not just looking for a paycheck.

wulfie

Hatchling Member
I'm getting my beardie from a breeder I met on facebook of all places, and only $75 shipped, can't go wrong there! :)

jessu892

Original Poster
I'm getting my beardie from a breeder I met on facebook of all places, and only $75 shipped, can't go wrong there! :)

Where did you get that beautiful baby! Hah. I would actually love the exact one you have! But yeah can you tell me where you got him?

wulfie

Hatchling Member
haven't gotten him yet, that's a pic that the breeder sent me. I ran into him on facebook and have pm'ed you his info

zandi202

BD.org Addict
All five of my babies from my signature I got from Petco. I think it is a matter of knowing how well care for the beardies look and how active and alert they are. Not all breeders are great and not all pet stores are bad. Some Petcos and PetSmarts are worse than others and some get bad rap for being part of the chain. It all depends on your local store.

Dang what a small world! I actually live about an hour north of Atlanta. Lol. I'm not sure exactly what part of Georgia you live in but I got my Beardie from the Petsmart in Cumming (off of Exit 14 on 400) and he's been awesome. Here's a recent pic of him.
2013-06-11

He's super healthy and full of energy even though he was a rescue (because he was missing some toes and didn't play well with others :roll: )

I know that a lot of Petsmart's have bad reps.. but the staff at the Cumming one are really great and I go there on a regular basis and have never had any issues whatsoever. However, as far as buying bulbs and etc, I'd go with the advice on this site instead of the stores. But as far as the quality of the baby beardies, or any reptiles for that matter, this Petsmart is great.

jessu892

Original Poster
Ah thank you! The guys at the Kennesaw Petsmart recognize me every time I go in for dog food haha. But I'm encouraged to hear your guys doing good. And yeah like I said I've worked at Petsmart before so I know how they work and the employees don't always know whats up.

I already have all the important things for the new baby (Exo Terra 36x18x18, Reptisun 10.0, multivitamins, basking light, light timer, electric temp gauge, and light fixtures). I'm just waiting for the grapevine branches I ordered from Ebay to come in and then when my work schedule calms down (long story) I'll order some worms and start the search for a good baby. I'm also looking to get tile for the bottom (just gotta go out and measure to see if I can find some to fit).

I'll probably end up going to Petsmart just because it's easier and I don't have to worry about being home for the mail and if he'll be okay traveling. I've been looking around the Petsmarts near me. Went to a Petco today and they actually had good sized juvi beards there which I was surprised to see. But I just hate Petco so I wont be buying from there. (Although they had Reptisun tube bulbs for 22$ so I grabbed an extra hah!)

Yeah I've found that the only thing Petco is good for is buying bulbs and stuff because the prices are usually a tad cheaper but other than that Petsmart is superior (based on my experience anyway.) Sounds like you've done your research and are well prepared. I'd check out Lowe's and Home Depot for tile. That's where I found Tupac's when he was a little guy and it actually was pretty cheap. Although there is a lot of debate over it, I have him on sand now that he's old enough. He loves to burrow in it at night when he sleeps and I find it easier to keep clean. But overall, and I'm sure that most would agree, tile is the best and has the least amount of risk. Good luck on finding your Dragon! :blob5:

jessu892

Original Poster
Yeah I was debating about the sand... I figure since I'll be getting a small one we'll avoid sand for now and no sand will be less messy I thought. I would hate finding little pieces of sand in my bed or couch etc. I'm not going to be feeding in the cage though anyways so I'll just learn what I prefer later I'm sure!

wulfie

Hatchling Member
I too have everything I need for my baby which will be shipping next week. I've got my exo terra 36x18x18, all the interior decor, getting the zoo med 36" slider hood thurs the 13th. I went with non-adhesive shelf liner for substrate, already got a basking lamp, gotta get my reptisun 10.0 24" and will be ordering a 'snack pack' from mulberry farms which consists of 300 small phoenix worms and 1000 micro superworms, not gonna mess with crickets/dubia, probably pick up some pellets and bearded dragon bites as well. And yes, I have a temperature gun (reptitemp) to check/monitor my temps :)

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
Getting them from Petsmart may be a good idea. For gosh sakes there is a vet clinic in mine. Unless you can dig up verifiable information that they consistently give poor care, what's the problem? I have never seen a sickly tenant in the stores by me and I am in them a lot. The young women that works at my Petsmart knows tons about not only BD but also every reptile she is responsible for on her shift. The young man at my Pet Supplies plus is a breader of BD and other reptiles.

On the flip side. If you think they give poor care then get your dragon from them and consider it rescued!

Ours is from Petsmart around may 19th. Alert, friendly, chow hound, and has shed once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom