Opinions and tips pls

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
So I'm two days into building a new tank (spoiler: not for Luis) and this is what I got so far.
Obviously I'm going for a natural looking setup again. The vertical branches are fixed in because I want to stack Luis' tank on top of this one and his is quite heavy.

This is a 210 GAL again, which is the minimum size in Germany to house an adult bearded dragon and I went for a 46" reptisun 10.0 HO UVB in addition to a 100W MHB.

What do you guys think so far? Anyone having experience with stacking tanks this size (two 210 GAL). The branches are obviously quite heavy...
IMG_20240330_090447.jpg
IMG_20240330_090433.jpg
IMG_20240330_090420.jpg
IMG_20240329_182252.jpg

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I'd honestly put a rock under the basking light so the beardie doesn't have to balance on a branch just to get some heat
Tank you, I'm still looking for a platform to bask as the branch is also not directly under the beam.
It's hard to see in the pics but the branch is also over 3" wide, which is around twice the size of the one my boy climbs up to sleep, lol.

I'm trying to reduce rocks a bit to get the total weight down because of the stacking...

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
The setup looks good for me :) The branch: They look thick, don't think that's a problem. My Taco has the choice and loves sitting an a similar branch (without having to "balance", but he just sits there).
If you'd like to add a rock but keep the weight down: You could make a lightweight "rock" from styrofoam plus tile glue like I did the background. For that you would stack slices of styrofoam and then cover the stack with several layers of tile glue; typically, while the last layer of tile glue is still wet, sand is added. You can even make it hollow so it can double as a hide. There are "thousands" of instructions online e.g. on youtube, usually to be found with "basking platform with hide".

Last edited:

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
The setup looks good for me :) The branch: They look thick, don't think that's a problem. My Taco has the choice and loves sitting an a similar branch (without having to "balance", but he just sits there).
If you'd like to add a rock but keep the weight down: You could make a lightweight "rock" from styrofoam plus tile glue like I did the background. For that you would stack slices of styrofoam and then cover the stack with several layers of tile glue; typically, while the last layer of tile glue is still wet, sand is added. You can even make it hollow so it can double as a hide. There are "thousands" of instructions online e.g. on youtube, usually to be found with "basking platform with hide".
Thank you, I kept some of the styrofoam from the pakagings, that might work

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
So I'm two days into building a new tank (spoiler: not for Luis) and this is what I got so far.
Obviously I'm going for a natural looking setup again. The vertical branches are fixed in because I want to stack Luis' tank on top of this one and his is quite heavy.

This is a 210 GAL again, which is the minimum size in Germany to house an adult bearded dragon and I went for a 46" reptisun 10.0 HO UVB in addition to a 100W MHB.

What do you guys think so far? Anyone having experience with stacking tanks this size (two 210 GAL). The branches are obviously quite heavy...
View attachment 88352 View attachment 88353 View attachment 88354 View attachment 88355
That looks pretty good, that's a clever use of the branches as support beams. That should help distribute the load of the 2nd tank. And it looks good.
I've done a couple of the Styrofoam items now, what I've found is that they are loud, and superworms will burrow into them given the chance. I used the 2x2 panels from the hardware store, the Styrofoam made of lil balls bonded together might be quiter. But I don't know if it will hold up to being used by a dragon 🤔

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
That looks pretty good, that's a clever use of the branches as support beams. That should help distribute the load of the 2nd tank. And it looks good.
I've done a couple of the Styrofoam items now, what I've found is that they are loud, and superworms will burrow into them given the chance. I used the 2x2 panels from the hardware store, the Styrofoam made of lil balls bonded together might be quiter. But I don't know if it will hold up to being used by a dragon 🤔
IMG_20240330_153006.jpg

Forgot to mention they are on rollers too (six in total).
Good point with the noise, I can litterally imagine the squirling sound 🙈

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Thank you, I kept some of the styrofoam from the pakagings, that might work
I'm sure this will work. I used the packaging from a fridge :D
I haven't made the observation they are loud (I'm extremely noise sensitive, can't tolerate noise levels other people think are normal), but it might depend on the complete setup.
But the styrofoam I used is indeed the one with the little balls, but always covered with about half an inch of tile glue. It holds up well (I have comparison pictures from when I made it and looks like new), there is no "styrofoam noise", and because it is covered with the tile glue and no styrofoam exposed, no little balls can come loose (very important as they would be a problem if ingested).

Chris said:
Good point with the noise, I can litterally imagine the squirling sound 🙈
No, there is luckily no squirting. The only sound is when my dragon really runs and jumps - then the noise is similar to an animal running over stone. I have the setup with parts made from styrofoam and tile glue now for 6 months (since I have my dragon) and anything that makes a "cutting and bending styrofoam" noise would have not survived so long in our household :D (I'm really noise sensitive, the type that's called "hyperacusis", in our household music/ movies/ computer games are only at a volume lower than people normally speak, I select my clothes items and shoes by their noise and many types are a no-no for me because of the sound they make, quiet keyboard, quiet mouse...)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Oops, looks like I'm late to the party. I have a hell of a lot of work lately. 🤪
I'll say my few words. I agree with Lyrebird to create a comfortable basking area.
And also, I see that the main weight of the upper terrarium lies on the side walls of the lower terrarium. This caused the bottom of the upper terrarium to bend a little. It will bend even more after a while if nothing is done. I would make a frame from wood or a metal profile pipe between the bottom of the upper terrarium and the ceiling of the lower one.
The decor in the new house is top notch as always! You are great at designing houses for beardies. I'm looking forward to taking photos with the dragon! :love:

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Oops, looks like I'm late to the party. I have a hell of a lot of work lately. 🤪
I'll say my few words. I agree with Lyrebird to create a comfortable basking area.
And also, I see that the main weight of the upper terrarium lies on the side walls of the lower terrarium. This caused the bottom of the upper terrarium to bend a little. It will bend even more after a while if nothing is done. I would make a frame from wood or a metal profile pipe between the bottom of the upper terrarium and the ceiling of the lower one.
The decor in the new house is top notch as always! You are great at designing houses for beardies. I'm looking forward to taking photos with the dragon! :love:
Thank you for your reply Nick, I was actually getting worried about you, as I always enjoy your insights :)
I see what you mean, here is a frontshot of what I did (pls ignore the wiring, I'm on it, i swear.
IMG_20240401_082833.jpg

There is a log at the back center to distribute the weight but I did not put it all the way to the front as the glassframe has no center piece and therefore no way to relief any pressure from above.
IMG_20240401_083512.jpg

It is definetly bending about 2-3mm though but I don't know how much pressure I can put on to the front frame :/

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Thanks Chris, I would definitely answer sooner or later anyway.
Yes, transferring the weight of the upper terrarium to the front frame is not the best solution, because after a while it simply will not opened. I would do the following... For the answer you quickly, I made the drawing by hand, I apologize if it turned out a little crooked.
1) the simplest thing you can do, I think it will allow you to level the front edge of the upper terrarium bottom. The square pipe can be replaced with an angular profile.
2) a solution for perfectionists - a reinforcing frame under the entire bottom of the upper terrarium. I have a similar solution working under the router table in my workshop, because the table is made from plywood, but should not bend under the heavy router in the center of the table.
I don’t know what materials are available to you, but I hope that my advice will help in some way
IMG_20240401_103208.jpg

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Thanks Chris, I would definitely answer sooner or later anyway.
Yes, transferring the weight of the upper terrarium to the front frame is not the best solution, because after a while it simply will not opened. I would do the following... For the answer you quickly, I made the drawing by hand, I apologize if it turned out a little crooked.
1) the simplest thing you can do, I think it will allow you to level the front edge of the upper terrarium bottom. The square pipe can be replaced with an angular profile.
2) a solution for perfectionists - a reinforcing frame under the entire bottom of the upper terrarium. I have a similar solution working under the router table in my workshop, because the table is made from plywood, but should not bend under the heavy router in the center of the table.
I don’t know what materials are available to you, but I hope that my advice will help in some way
View attachment 88397
🤩 That looks like the solution I was looking for. Luis just headbobed to show his approval as well.
Thank you Nick, I already have something in mind but it will have to wait until after the holidays so I can grab some materials.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
You could also use spray foam. Line a bowl with some plastic wrap or wax paper or something, and fill it up, let it dry, then carve it and paint/seal it.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
So it took some time but I came up with something similar to what Nick suggested.
IMG_20240405_131806.jpg
IMG_20240405_134432.jpg

There is no bending no more :)

Also I put the substrate into Lillys (stay tuned for her arrival) tank and I'm fairly happy with it so far. Could use a second hide on the cool side though...
IMG_20240405_131821.jpg
IMG_20240404_064439.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom