Open mouth when basking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not always but every once in a while Eragon has his mouth open when basking! I have read mixed info. The temps and lights are good. Thanks to hear I now have a dual probe thermometer. Is it that he is overheating at times or is it supposed to be open??
He is a 19 month old brumating male who wants to be held and definately hormonal!!!! Eragon needs a date! LOL

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
cherylann229":45bb4 said:
Not always but every once in a while Eragon has his mouth open when basking! I have read mixed info. The temps and lights are good. Thanks to hear I now have a dual probe thermometer. Is it that he is overheating at times or is it supposed to be open??
He is a 19 month old brumating male who wants to be held and definately hormonal!!!! Eragon needs a date! LOL

If it is just once and awhile, no problem. Eragon (cool name!) is simply thermo-regulating. Perfectly normal. If it was happening a lot, or quickly after he took up the basking spot, then you may want to gauge your temps for too much heat. I know as dragons reach maturity, the heat should come down a bit, however if the "gaping" is simply intermittent, no worries. :mrgreen:

He sounds like a sweetie with an attitude. :wink:

The best,
Em

cherylann229

Original Poster
Thanks! My son loves the movie eragon, that's where it came from. I did not know I needed to lower the temp as they age. where should it be? How many crickets should they get a a feeding? I do a dozen. He awoke tonight, ate, pooped, tore his house
apart, scratched to come out. As soon as he was in his blanket around my neck, sleep! Spoiled wild boy!!!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
cherylann229":25958 said:
Thanks! My son loves the movie eragon, that's where it came from. I did not know I needed to lower the temp as they age. where should it be? How many crickets should they get a a feeding? I do a dozen. He awoke tonight, ate, pooped, tore his house
apart, scratched to come out. As soon as he was in his blanket around my neck, sleep! Spoiled wild boy!!!

When they reach adulthood, you want to tone down the basking temps from 105-110 for babes/juvies, to more like 95-100 for adults. The food thing is a little trickier, as you have to gauge it on age and size both. I'd say a 19 inch beardie is pretty close to full size, if not full size, so I believe you take down the daily live feeder feedings, to 3, perhaps 4 times a week. The veggie/live feeder ratio should be approx. 80%/20%, respectively. We're not there yet however, so you may want to check this information on the 'Feeding' forum. :mrgreen:

The best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom