Only wants to eat mealworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gelfling

Hi Everyone, I am new on this and not sure if I am doing this right, but here goes! My beardie is called Rosie (Axl Rose!). She is now nearly 9 months old. She has always been grand at eating veg, crickets and the odd few mealworms thrown in as a treat, until recently. We ran out of crickets last week and I fed her veg and mealworms for a few days only. The wee witch is now refusing to eat cricks! :? Did I spoil her those few days when she had mealies only?? How do I wean her off them and back on to a varied diet!!!??? Thanks for all your help!

Gelfling

Original Poster
Problem solved, probably not the typically right way but didnt give her any food at all yesterday and when I got home last night at about 8pm, gave her 3 crix just to see and she gobbled them up! Also gave her cabbage by hand and she munched that heartily too! Lesson to self, mealies only as a treat, maybe once a week :wink:

Cowabunga

Hatchling Member
How bout mealies never? They have no nutritional value and can easily impact smaller dragons eaten in bulk. Do your dragon a favor and cut mealies out of the diet completely. They are dirt cheap for a reason but ironically your dragon would gain more nutrition by literally eating dirt.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Sounds like you figured out the trick! :) Skipping a couple meals often increases the appetite to the point where they will go back to eating some of their less favored foods.

Mealworms are also not nutritionally valueless, although if they are not gutloaded prior to being fed off, they may be less nutritious than otherwise. They are nice and high in fat, and are one part of offering a varied diet for your beardie. :)

-Jen

Gelfling

Original Poster
Thank you both for your help! I am open to all suggestions on how to best look after this wee woman! She is very rewarding! Loads of people asked me why I was getting a beardie because they are boring? She is FAR from it lol. Like the wee victory roll she does when she gets fed - its hilarious! She rolls her head and cleans her mouth on the kitchen paper when she's finished eating, then does a weird kind of wee dance :lol: . She seems to be growing well and filling out and I have no real worries about her. She also likes being tucked in at night and looks up at me with her good eye, then snuggles down into the wee blanket I wrap round her, she is very cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom