Ongoing impaction treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

didymus

Hello all,

I write to you concerning my beloved beardie Dydimus. He's coming up on 14 weeks old and has been the picture of health since I got him. I'm down to the last of my dubias (from an all-female order) and though I am very stringent on feeder size some of the last few that he's eaten have been just at the 'eye-width' limit. Of course there are now some real honkers in the bin but I give them to my boss's family's adult beardie.

I started noticing him in distress two days ago as he was coming down from his basking spot to feed and his limbs, particularly his right side, were a bit twitchy and he wasn't moving with as much speed and accuracy as usual. I immediately looked it up here and saw that it can be caused by MBD or impaction. He has a state-of-the-art facility including a ReptiSun 10.0 HO mounted inside, 100W full-spectrum reflector bulb, 60W CHE for cold nights, and I use a Fluke 62 Max+ IR gun. He receives daily calcium and weekly vit supplements so I know the possibilities of MBD are very slim. That left impaction.

I suppose some of the dubias I recently fed him, though within the guidelines, may have been a bit too large. The next day he did not poo so I gave him a nice long bath and he passed a very large one after about 10 mins. He seemed visibly relieved and much more perky and his movement got better but he still had a slight limp in his right forearm, which brought the possibility of lingering temporary paralysis from the impaction. His belly looked much thinner and he was very eager so I fed him a few small crickets which he gobbled up. He spent the rest of the evening at his basking spot which has a temp curve of 100-110ºF depending on how high he ascends his perch.

Though I've seen mention of lingering partial paralysis that subsides after a day or two I am a worry wart so I'm still open to the possibility of further impaction so will monitor him closely and will give him another warm bath tomorrow to make sure his tract is moving along. I also put baby food prunes and unspiced canned pumpkin on my grocery list so if he needs further remedies I'll have it, and the honey and olive oil I already have, on hand. I know this is a lot less severe than some of the posts I've seen here but my little guy is family and there's nothing I wouldn't do to make him healthy and happy.

I'll keep you posted as to his progress. I figure the more info we have to reference the better.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear your little one is feeling under the weather. I hope he feels better soon, I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

You are feeding my nymphs right, not adult females? Did your baby chew the roaches very well? Usual they get pretty well chomped up and wouldn't pose an impaction risk unless they are significantly bigger than they should be. You mention it was effecting one of his front limbs?

How is your uvb light setup, is it a T5 or T8? Is there any plastic or glass covering the bulb?

didymus

Original Poster
Taterbug":1w6rgt29 said:
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear your little one is feeling under the weather. I hope he feels better soon, I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

You are feeding my nymphs right, not adult females? Did your baby chew the roaches very well? Usual they get pretty well chomped up and wouldn't pose an impaction risk unless they are significantly bigger than they should be. You mention it was effecting one of his front limbs?

How is your uvb light setup, is it a T5 or T8? Is there any plastic or glass covering the bulb?
Not at all. I'm feeding nymphs and some very small sub-adults as big as small crickets (just above pinheads) which are well under the guidelines. Yeah, yesterday he seemed to be favoring his right arm but this morning he seems okay even though he's got a bit of a pooch going on. I dosed some finely chopped collards with olive oil and hand-fed him a few bits and gave him two warm baths a couple hours apart to be sure and he seems to be feeling better and not having any limb issues. I let him take a little run around my bed every time he's out of the bath and he seemed to be back to his old self. I'll be back after work to check on him.

I'm using a naked 24" T5 HO mounted inside just under the lid which keeps it about 8" from his highest basking spot and about 12" from the bottom of the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom