One rescue gets you more

Status
Not open for further replies.

heather12

I resuced a little lizard who had both front legs chewed off so all that is left is about 1/2 of the legs. I messaged LG's owner to ask what to do cage wise for the little bugger. The first thing I learned was that he/she can't be in sand when you have tiny little legs when you run you flip sand in your eyes.I vacummed all the sand out with the shop vac OOph what a mess then I used shelf liner for the aquarium while I figured out where exactly to put him/her. My decision was to split my large cage with a little lizard on each side.
lizards097.jpg

But as the title says one gets you more. I went to the pet store to get crickets and I was asked how the little one was doing I said "fine getting ready to shed again." The owner said he had another that needed a home and brought out a three legged little lizard and I took it home.
lizards103.jpg

so now I will have to have my poor DH build me another box for my lizards so that all the littles will have their own when they get bigger. I will have enclosures to the ceiling.
lizardenclosures035.jpg

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
What little darlings!
Thank you for bringing them home.

I have a boy who is missing an arm and a leg so has to walk around on his tummy all day.
Having a disabled lizard is a big learning experience.

Tank wise, you dont want anything slippery like fake rocks or ceramic tiles. With Rube as he only has one arm to pull himself along with I use towel on the bottom of his viv for extra grip.
For your darlings something soft and grippy like papertowels or toweling might be a big help for them mobility wise.

Id also recomment you try making some "rice rocks" (rice inside socks).
My disabled monster only has one arm and one leg so he has difficulty climbing up to bask, with only two limbs he needs all the grip he can get to climb. Just because he is disabled doesnt mean he shouldnt climb and explore like a "normal" boy ^_^
All you do is get a sock, and pack in lots of uncooked rice and tie the end off (i use hair bobbles or I stitch them). You can then pile these up to give him something to climb on if he struggles with wood or rock.
I also love these ricerocks because you can pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds and give them a nice warm rock to bask on.

Here are a few shots of Ruben and his ricerocks.
cjj.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

Im always happy to help and chat so feel free to message me any time ^_^

Holly

heather12

Original Poster
Awww Ruben is soo cute. I'll have to try the rice rocks, too. Skuttle lept onto a log to bask, I just put it in there for him/her to hide behind while we got used to each other, so I made a low step rock and a mini wall with a little ramp since she(?) wants to be high. Both have extra sand for grip.
lizards131.jpg

sorry my pics are of a dirty house I clean when no-one is home_ no distrations no accidents.
lizards130.jpg

lizards125.jpg

lizards126.jpg

My "normal" beardies hold their heads very high some days they are standing tippy toe to have the highest head around. Hoppy and Skuttle don't seem to. Is it possible they are highly submissive and won't do it, anyone else know anything, they are together and they can't see any other lizards.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
They are adorable and so are their names! You're a good "slave!" I just want to point out that it isn't very safe to keep more than one bearded dragon in an enclosure.

Anyway, LG and Ruben are very good dragons to read about, and there are quite a few others.

heather12

Original Poster
haleygirl272 said:
I just want to point out that it isn't very safe to keep more than one bearded dragon in an enclosure.
quote]
I am very aware that they should be seprated. If I wasn't I guess I'd have them in with Fire or Chumba Wumba, now that would be a disaster. I figure they should be ok for a couple months untill I can wheedle DH into making another box for me to finish out as an enclousure.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
heather12":c0a29 said:
haleygirl272":c0a29 said:
I just want to point out that it isn't very safe to keep more than one bearded dragon in an enclosure.
I am very aware that they should be seprated. If I wasn't I guess I'd have them in with Fire or Chumba Wumba, now that would be a disaster. I figure they should be ok for a couple months untill I can wheedle DH into making another box for me to finish out as an enclousure.

Oh ok, I was just making sure. 8)

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Oh they are just darling! Good idea about the ricerocks I need to make a few of those for Lexi.

heather12

Original Poster
I am gonna get on building rice rocks today I have a huge bag of socks and I fairly sure I have rice if not I'll be going shopping, aww shucks. Maybe I'll have pics later today.

heather12

Original Poster
Ok so I went the no sew route at the moment because I don't think I know exactly where my sewing things are. Introducing the rice rock.
lizards140.jpg

for time I put Skuttle up there for a picture she said it tastes funny and left to seek the bowl of crickets from the regular rock.

heather12

Original Poster
Oh it didn't take long Skuttle is back up there and her head is HIGH. Thanks for the idea and for reading my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom