One eye closing sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie has an r-zilla uv light and sometimes he closes one eye. I was just wondering if I should be worried. I researched it and it said that it's just like what we do when we look at the sun... Close an eye... Also, I read that they sometimes do this to help them focus on things. Is this correct or is the uv light hurting his eyes? Also, there is no sign of anything wrong with his eyes that I can see

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I found these conversations/threads about your bulb by googling r-zilla.... :study:
http://www.google.com/custom?q=r-zilla+uv+&sa=Google+Search&sitesearch=BeardedDragon.org&domains=BeardedDragon.org&client=pub-5530445384043711&forid=1&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&safe=active&cof=GALT%3A%23008000%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%23057405%3BVLC%3A663399%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3A057405%3BALC%3A057405%3BLC%3A057405%3BT%3A000000%3BGFNT%3A0000FF%3BGIMP%3A0000FF%3BLH%3A50%3BLW%3A288%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fimages.beardeddragon.org%2Fimages%2FbdragonBanner_midsmall.jpg%3BS%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2F%3BFORID%3A1%3B&hl=en

Or by googling r-zilla UVB I found these...
http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&safe=active&client=pub-5530445384043711&cof=FORID:1%3BGL:1%3BL:http://images.beardeddragon.org/images/bdragonBanner_midsmall.jpg%3BLH:50%3BLW:288%3BLBGC:057405%3BLC:%23057405%3BVLC:%23663399%3BGFNT:%230000ff%3BGIMP:%230000ff%3B&domains=BeardedDragon.org&sitesearch=BeardedDragon.org&oe=ISO-8859-1&ei=4qRoSvO5GYzgswPakP2WBQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=r-zilla+uvb&spell=1

You'll notice that many did mention it caused eye problems. :(

I wouldn't use it or suggest using it...I'd shut it off and change it out asap....the reptisun 10.0
would be a better choice...
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

However if your enclosure is a 40gal or larger then you could also use a MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb)
MVB's and the Reptisun 10.0's are the only UVB bulbs I'd recommend for beardies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
motorcross11396":0dcdc said:
My beardie has an r-zilla uv light and sometimes he closes one eye. I was just wondering if I should be worried. I researched it and it said that it's just like what we do when we look at the sun... Close an eye... Also, I read that they sometimes do this to help them focus on things. Is this correct or is the uv light hurting his eyes? Also, there is no sign of anything wrong with his eyes that I can see

A certain amount of eye closing/alternating is normal, however in a word, YES, you should be concerned. The R-Zilla lights are problematic for a number of reasons, eye issues being only one of many health hazards that have been associated with these bulbs. Simply stated, they are a very poor source of UVB. When we first got our girl, she was under a Zilla compact. Her health problems started with an issue with her left eye (closing it more often than not). She then began showing early signs of MBD: slowed/nearly stopped appetite (if we could get her to eat 8 crickets a day, it was a good day :roll: ), lethargy and stunted growth. She was stuck at 6 inches for 2-3 months, and beginning to shut down when I finally found this website and it's wealth of good information. I was able to then learn of the damage these lights have been causing for beardies, and was able to make a change of light that was beneficial to her health. She is now thriving and healthy, however a little behind in growth. :?

Some questions for you:

Are you noticing one eye that is closed more than the other?

What are you using for heat (type of bulb and wattage).

Size of your tank?

Is your Zilla light a coil, compact or linear tube? Is it the Desert Series 50? Here is a link to a site/report which includes the Zilla Desert Series 50. It speaks specifically of the linear tube, however the coils and compacts have also been a serious problem: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm.

My best advice is turn off your Zilla ASAP, and permanently. The ReptiSUN (NOT Glo) 10.0 tube is an excellent and SAFE source of UVB for your dragon. Here is a link to an excellent price on one: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html. If your enclosure is 40 gallons or larger, you can opt for a mercury vapor bulb (MVB) which houses UVA/UVB/HEAT all in one. Let me know if you'd like more information on the MVBs, as there would be specific recommendations there as well.

The best,
Em

motorcross11396

Original Poster
Haha of course when I ask about it, he doesn't close his eye anymore.. I also know many people who successfully use it so I think I'll just stick with it for now

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
LOL Barbara... it's like we coordinated our answers! :wink:

Needless to say OP, there are many bulbs available out there that sadly, are hazardous to dragons. They have quite a reputation around here, obviously. :?

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi, I posted this in your other thread as well (regarding feeding), as you specifically asked for my help...

It sounds like you're opting to stick with it for now, but I must tell you, I wouldn't recommend it. If I had known then what I know now, I never would have taken the chance on such a bulb, as at the end of the day, health hazards aside, it's simply a very poor source of UVB.

Here is a growth chart for beardies where you can gauge how your dragon is doing growth wise--this is one of the things that tipped us off that something was very wrong about our enclosure: http://www.dachiu.com/beardeddragoncare/growthcharts.html.

I sincerely hope you have good luck with the bulb, as I would hate to see yet another beardie fall victim to poor quality equipment. If you take a moment to read the forum here (ER, Health, Behavior, etc.), you'll find it's a rather epidemic health issue: the fact that there are way too many bulbs available out there that not only offer poor UVB, but are downright hazardous. :(

In that you are choosing to keep the bulb, I would additionally like to ask then, How close is your beardie able to get to it? Also, is your basking bulb BRIGHT WHITE, so as to help guard beardie's eyes from the harsh UVB rays.

The best,
Em

motorcross11396

Original Poster
My beardie can get up to 6 inches to the uv light... Also, my basking light is a small light, covered in something that's blue, which makes it invisible... The basking light is kind of circled by the uv light.. By the way it's a compact... I couldn't find a picture for you on google, but hopefully I described it so you can understand what it is

motorcross11396

Original Poster
My beardie is also growing very well... But Is it life threatening with this bulb? Well now I think I'm overreacting because I looked at all the symptoms and my little spike doesn't have any of them.. I'll keep an eye out though

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
motorcross11396":5ca83 said:
My beardie can get up to 6 inches to the uv light... Also, my basking light is a small light, covered in something that's blue, which makes it invisible... The basking light is kind of circled by the uv light.. By the way it's a compact... I couldn't find a picture for you on google, but hopefully I described it so you can understand what it is

Is it this one: http://www.petco.com/product/109791/Zilla-Mini-Desert-50-UVB-Reptile-Fixture.aspx ?? This is the Zilla Desert Series 50 Compact/Mini that we were using (although I wouldn't recommend a single Zilla bulb). If you are adamant about using this bulb (or any other compact), I would highly suggest that you get some more distance between it and your beardie. At 6 inches, this bulb can do some serious damage. And, by the sounds of your basking bulb, I would say it's not one that will go far in protecting your beardie's eyes. Sufficient and safe basking bulbs for beardies should offer BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT. The brighter the enclosure/basking area, the safer it is for your beardie's eyes. The basking bulb should be placed right next to the UVB light so beardie has benefit of both bulbs while basking, for reasons I've already explained and in addition, for proper calcium absorption, and thorough digestion. Even a household incandescent will do, so long is it's bright white and giving you proper temps, which for a juvie should be basking (DIRECTLY under the bulb/on the basking surface): 105-110, ambient: 85-90 and cool side: about 80. You didn't mention your size of tank, and wattage of bulb... also, with what and how are you going about gauging temps?

motorcross11396":5ca83 said:
My beardie is also growing very well... But Is it life threatening with this bulb? Well now I think I'm overreacting because I looked at all the symptoms and my little spike doesn't have any of them.. I'll keep an eye out though

I'm glad your beardie is growing well. But yes, I would stay keenly aware of any symptoms (slowing appetite, growth, sleeping more and more, one or both eyes closed often). I am still kicking myself for allowing our girl to stay in her enclosure under those early conditions as I knew in my gut something wasn't quite right. In participating on the boards here for a number of months now, I have learned that she was one of the lucky ones. Poor lighting is rather epidemic I'm afraid, and it's a common reason beardie owners tend to seek out bd.org in the first place. So much so, that when I first came here looking for help on the symptoms, I never even had to make a post about our individual situation because there were so many threads that already covered the territory, and offered me the information/advice I needed.

Our beardie was seemingly doing quite well at the first; eating, growing, active, shedding, etc. But by the end of the first month, we noticed the eye issue. A few more weeks in, her appetite started to wane, and by the time we were three months in, it occurred to us that she hadn't shed in quite sometime. When we checked the growth chart I provided, we realized that along with everything else, she was way too small for her age. It was a real eye opener (no pun intended :) ). By this time, she was awake perhaps 5-6 hours a day, retiring earlier each day, and she was eating maybe 4-5 crickets a day, 7-8 on her best days. When I saw that beardies her age should be consuming 50-100 live feeders a day, it was quite a shock. It was at that time, I found this place and was able to make proper changes to her environment, and as I say she was lucky, and is recovering well... eating like a horse and growing like a weed, making up for lost time, thankfully.

As I said before, I do hope that your beardie does not end up with any of the above issues. Indeed, if let go, our girl's symptoms would have developed into metabolic bone disorder, attributed to poor light/lack of proper processing of calcium. Poor UVB is a direct result of a poorly made bulb which from the get go, emits LOW LEVEL UVB which for beardie, is a problem in and of itself (they need much more UVB than many of the bulbs emit). However, this is exacerbated by the fact that low level UVB will allow UVCs to be emitted which are the extremely hazardous rays that can cause the all the symptoms I've described, and at worst radiation poisoning which, along with unchecked MBD, can certainly be life threatening.

I've talked a blue streak here, apologies. I suppose in that you can sense how important this issue is to me (and many others here on the board). :wink: The only thing I might offer to you is to do some research of your own. Here on the board you can type in "Zilla" "compact" or "coil" (which carry similar risks as the compacts) in the search feature up top and you will likely come up with some very useful information on which to base your decision. Here are some places you may wish to start:

[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=65424 f=1 ]

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=104658&p=817669&hilit=Zilla+compact#p817669

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=102465&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Zilla+compact

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=93294&p=727522&hilit=zilla+compact#p727522

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=102532&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Zilla+compact

There are many upon many threads that deal with this issue... you could read for days (and I did, way back when). I hope this is helpful to you.

The best,
Em

motorcross11396

Original Poster
No, that isn't the light, but I'll go ahead and lower the distance from the basking area... I'll keep a close eye on him and hopefully he won't have any problems... I also snuck in on him to see if his eyes were closed a few times today... They werent! When he saw me, he tilted his head sideways and closed an eye which led me to believe that he is only doing this to focus his eyes in on me.. Thanks for all of your time and research that you've done for me.. I'll keep watching him closely and if I notice any symtoms I'll immediately get him another light.. The reason why I don't just go out and buy a new light is because I'm a kid and I don't have much money.. But if anything happens to him, I'll immediately find a way to fix this. Thanks so much again

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
motorcross11396":f19fe said:
No, that isn't the light, but I'll go ahead and lower the distance from the basking area... I'll keep a close eye on him and hopefully he won't have any problems... I also snuck in on him to see if his eyes were closed a few times today... They werent! When he saw me, he tilted his head sideways and closed an eye which led me to believe that he is only doing this to focus his eyes in on me.. Thanks for all of your time and research that you've done for me.. I'll keep watching him closely and if I notice any symtoms I'll immediately get him another light.. The reason why I don't just go out and buy a new light is because I'm a kid and I don't have much money.. But if anything happens to him, I'll immediately find a way to fix this. Thanks so much again

You are most welcome.

I do understand your dilemma certainly. I'm an adult and have made some rather "unaffordable/had to find a way to fix it" mistakes with our beardie, which technically belongs to my son, but I'm a doting Grandma you might say. :wink: My biggest regret is not having found this place BEFORE bringing beardie home. *sigh* Would have save us money, and beardie, misery. One of the main things I've learned is if you can manage it, buy on-line. You will save a bundle, and will have access to more quality equipment from which to choose.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, and please keep a close eye on your beardie for any symptoms. Let us know if you run into any problems. We're happy to help.

fresnowitte":f19fe said:

Excellent post Em! :wink:

Ah shucks, thanks Barbara!

The best, and good luck!
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom