Once again, size matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitch

Hatchling Member
So, this is the second time I've posted here today, second time on this topic.

Atticus is between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 months old- and only 8 1/2 inches.

Reptisun 10.0
100 watt uv bulb
40 gallon tank
103 on one side, 85-90 on the other
repticarpet substrate
Staple of Pheonix worms, Crickets, and Small Superworms dusted with calcium and vitams
Offered various greens, including fresh Basil, Mustard Greens, Collard Greens.
Currently taking medication and probiotics. (A heat lamp burned through his last bottle of meds Dx)

Comments, concerns?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Glitch...how long have you had Atticus and where did you get him. Does he act healthy otherwise ? ? What is he on meds. for , and what are the meds. ? How often does he eat ? I know you've probably heard, but they all grow at different rates. He is definitely on the small size, but there are several factors that could contribute. He may have been a runt, or one of several smallest of the clutch. He may not have had llarge parents and /or the mother was very young or even on the unhealthy side. By the way, even young females can still have healthy babies, it's up to the genetics and the care given to her . But besides this, he may be a slow grower but still reach a decent 18" or so. Being small in itself doesn't necessarily mean he will be unhealthy or live a shorter life. You may be surprised.

Glitch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got him from Petsmart- would have been from elsewhere, but he looked so emaciated, sickly and unhappy, I wouldn't have been able to live with myself had I not snatched him up :c He was so tiny then, too (but all petsmart babies are ;;) and one of the ladies made the comment that all of their babies are pretty fresh when they get them.

I got Atticus in August and I was told he was around 2 weeks old.

He's on medication for pinworms and coccidia (Well, that was awhile ago, and the coccidia medication was lost so I just got more, pinworm meds are done with for now) Which were Panacur and Toltrazuril.

He's healthy otherwise, yes, (extremely) high energy, however his appetite isn't quite what it should be. He is offered food every day, multiple times a day (he's also a shy eater, and eats at a slow pace, so I leave a bowl of worms in there with him) But right now, while on the medication and while he's shedding so his appetite is bluh, he's also eating a Critical Care, Carnivore Care, Chicken Baby Food, Probiotic slurry.

And yeah, I've heard all of that too- I'm just a bit of an overprotective mom and like to hear opinions- hopefully ones that say he's healthy, even if just a little runty.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there , well you answered your own question. Coming from a bad start as a hatchling at a pet store and now he is a slow eater. He's a tough cookie, though, going through what he has gone through, it has stunted his growth. You may want to give him a break from all meds. for a while and just get his appetite back on track. It sounds like you've taken great care of him, really and he is doing very well considered how you said he started out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom