On and off brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gladstone is 2 1/2 yrs old. He has been through brumation so I know what it looks like, at least I thought I did. Last December he "went down" gradually and slept for about 2 weeks in January and I thought his second brumation was doing pretty good. Since then it seems he's never fully woken up. He sleeps a lot, is lethargic, barely moving. But when I let him run in the house he seems alert and interested.
And he has eaten almost nothing for a couple of months. Just a few berries. I don't know where he got the stuff for the two poops (that looked normal) he did in the last few weeks (in the bath tub).
It's possible he is cold. Our house is not that warm. He is in a huge (4 ft) glass tank and he can get up high under the basking light. But I have to put him there to enjoy it! I don't understand why he can't sense where the heat is and go there but he prefers to lie on the bottom in the shadows.
Anyone got clues?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If the house itself is cold, he may need an extra heat lamp in the cage to make the ambient temp. rise. If areas of the cage are always cold, he may not seek out the " hot spot" to bask, as he may be too sluggish.Basking spot should be about 100-105, and the coolest end of the tank should be no less than 75, but preferably around 80 F. What type of UVB do you have ? A good one is necessary for good health, or you must be able to expose him to natural sunlight 3-4 times a week for an hour or so at a time. This usually perks them up and greatly increases their appetite and behavior. Can you list your set-up ? Also, there's a chance that, if you improve the tank conditions and he's still lethargic that he may have parasites. so a fecal could be tested to see if there's a problem.

Mrs. Tiggywinkle

Original Poster
Thank you AHBD!
The cold end of the tank was just too cold. I did not realize how cold it was since he destroyed his robe temp cord, I had not bought another one. The situation is much better and he is dancing around, head- bobbing and the works. I am very grateful for the alert.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great !! I like a simple solution, and happy to hear that beardie is acting like he's feeling his oats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom