OMG I can’t figure this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone cut through all the numbers and tell me a decent but cheap bulb to use for uvb on a 15 gallon tank for a young bear die? The numbers make my head hurt.

I think the mega ray and other mercury vapor are way too much for this right now. The enclosure is temporary!! He’s little now, in 2-3 months he’s going in a 75 (maybe a 125, we’ll see how the space works out) but for now we’re putting him in another room while we do a little construction in what will be his room.

I have the simple blue and red zoomed bulbs. I know they’re kind of crappy but I shattered the box of bulbs yesterday. (Banging head on table.)

Thanks!!

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
The red and blue bulbs shouldnt be used, especially not at night as they mess with their eyes, im sure you could find a regular house bulb that produces white bright light. Not the coil ones though, the ones that produce a lot of heat. If he goes into a 75 gallon enclosure a Reptisun T5 Ho 10.0 46" tube light will be ideal. Theres not any "cheap" bulbs that produce good uvb, beardies are just not one of those types of animals where you can get something cheap without effecting something else.

Kathywithbirds

Original Poster
Can I safely use the megaray 100 with this cage then? I can get it about 12 inches away and put it on one side.

Then I think I’d need a basking bulb and a white bulb, right? So no bulb at all at night? I did have a ceramic heater bulb and an under tank warmer.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
No heat at night as long as it doesnt get below 65. Usually 75 gallons and larger need strip lights as if they go anywhere else they will not get any UVB which is extremely important. For the 15 gallon he is in now he would overheat. Generally 15 gallons shouldnt be used for any sized beardie. If you were to use a megaray on a 75 you'd probably need a 150 or so since usually they are 20-21 inches high. Im not sure what you mean by a white bulb though... since you need a basking spot and uvb and thats about it for lighting unless it drops below 65. What are you using at the moment for Uvb anyway?

Kathywithbirds

Original Poster
I’ve got nothing right now, I’m in petco as soon as it opens tomorrow. I figure I’ll get a short reptisun 10, and I have enough space above the tank to raise it if need be.

I’ve read that any regular bulb is fine for uva, that’s what I mean be a white bulb. The silly red and blue bulbs are giving him 99 degrees on the one end right now with 80 at the other end. He’s perched on the TP tube I cut up for him, getting a little closer to the lights.

I want to get him set up correctly in the bigger tank before he moves in, but I also want him as comfortable as possible in this tank for now. I know it’s too small but it’s what fits in the space for now. And he’s about 5 inches.

Kathywithbirds

Original Poster
I admit, I got this guy a little ahead of schedule; he was supposed to be a Christmas bearded. But he was a good deal and had a great personality, and cane from a reputable breeder - JFKDragons in Petaluma.

I appreciate the info!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom