Oliver's tail got smashed (I think??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdedman

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I got home and my 3yr old grandson got into my Beardie, Oliver's cage!! :angry5: He managed to move some things around and I think Oliver must have been in his way because when I got home and saw the cage rearranged, I noticed that Oliver's tail was cut about a half inch from the tip! :( What should I do with the open wound and the cage I have has front sliding glass doors, are there locks for those that I can get? I can post pics later tonight... Thanks in advance

Harry

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hi there. Sorry to hear about Oliver :(

Pics will help to assess how bad it is but here is what you can do in the mean time.

Dilute some betadine it so it looks lie weak tea and bathe the wound in that. When you have dried it off, apply some neosporin.

If his tail tip turns black and the blackness spreads upwards, you will need to get him to a vet since that will indicate necrosis and we dont want that spreading.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like it got caught in the door - it's an injury I've seen on the boards from time to time.
Betadine and Neosporin are definitely the way to go, and as MissT says, keep a close eye on it. With a bit of luck, it's just a ding :)

hrdedman

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I will soak his tail as soon as I get home from work and take some before and after pics.

Harry

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Try home depot and lowes and ask for a jewelers lock. Don't buy a reptile lovk because they are exactly the same thing made in the same factory at triple the price

hrdedman

Original Poster
Pics of wounded tail:

100_0132.jpg

100_0131.jpg

100_0129.jpg

Oliver's tail with neosporin
100_0133.jpg

100_0134.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor Oliver, that looks like it might hurt a little bit.
Just keep it clean & put the antibiotic ointment on it, or a silver cream you can find in the drug store by the antibiotic ointment area.
What type of cream do you have on it now?
Are you using a solid substrate & not a loose substrate to make sure it stays clean?

He sure is a colorful dragon, too. I hope his tail gets better soon. It will most likely dry out & fall off eventually.

Tracie

hrdedman

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Thanks for your concern, you may not remember but you helped me with one of my other dragons, Princess Leia, who has survived her rough start and just recently shown a nice spurt in growth, finally...
100_0080.jpg

...but that's beside the point, back to Oliver. I am using a solid substrate, white cabinet liner. As for the wound I first soaked it in a diluted betadine solution and once it dried I put neosporin cream on it, that is the white substance you can see in the last two picks.

Now I have a few more questions:

Assuming these antibiotics are alright to use, how often should I apply and for how long?

What should I be looking for in the healing process? What's normal? When should I be concerned?

Should I expect Oliver's diet to decrease during the healing process?

Thanks again for your help and concern,

Harry

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Harry,

You can use the antibiotic ointment as long as needed, it should not exhibit any negative side effects. The betadine is safe used daily for awhile, no problem at all.
It shouldn't take long for the area to either heal up or dry up & fall off.

I do remember Princess Leia, I am happy to hear that she is doing much better now & growing well now. :blob5: She looks beautiful!
Let me know how things are coming along.

Tracie

hrdedman

Original Poster
more pics on Oliver's progress:
100_0148.jpg

100_0149.jpg

to me it still seems unclear as what is going to happen, but I guess one good thing is that it doesn't look any worse.

Harry

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, Oliver is gorgeous! OUCH on that tail, it looks so sore! I hope
it heals well. The antibiotic ointment should help prevent an infection.
Amanda

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It looks like it is probably sore for him. It will eventually heal up on the end but the tip will most likely fall off.
How is he doing now?

Tracie

hrdedman

Original Poster
Drache613":33rgww7y said:
Hello,

It looks like it is probably sore for him. It will eventually heal up on the end but the tip will most likely fall off.
How is he doing now?

Tracie

Oliver is doing fine and he doesn't seemed to be too bothered by his injury. I actually think he likes it when I soak his tail in the antibiotic. If I remember, I will post some new pics tonight...

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom