Older dragon help? (C-word?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunRack

Hey guys, I was hoping for some better assistance then that i just received from my "reptile" vet.

First off, Pistol is my little rock star dragon, she is prob 6 or 7 years old. Every year, she brumates around April, when it starts to get hot and the air conditioner is on in the house. I let her do her thing, and its never been an issue. She does brumate for a while. This year, it is AUGUST, and she is in a funk. She will wake up, move around, but thats about it. I have checked the UV, the heat/temp, I have tile in the bottom, I dont feed live anything except an occasional cricket or worm, no drafts, lots of veggies before she went into this funk.

ive taken her to my local Reptile Vet, and he pumps her full of vitamins and food, and tells me that she should be up and moving, and that if not, she has Cancer. Seems like a pretty wide speculation. I have found another reptile vet, and she is pretty far away. I want to get my girl packed up, kept comfy on our trip, and utilize the time at the new vet wisely. So- I figure a fecal? A blood panel? xrays? What else?

mikewithsfi

Hatchling Member
That should about cover it. Yes make sure you have a stool sample ready. Preferably fresh as possible. Also Explain to the new vet what the old vet said. If the new vet has all his/her ducks in a row he/she will know what to do. I am curious why the old vet speculated cancer with out doing blood work, or exams. When my beardie brumates she will not eat at all. I get worried about it because that is the parent thing to do, but she always recovers after wards. Beardies have personalities, and as they get older they change, habits change, attitude changes, everything could change. I am not saying dont take your beardie to the vet, please do that is the responsible thing to do. And I hope your new vet gives you good news, not all vets know reptiles, and the proof is in this forum. All the horrible advice given to beardie owners. I have a red ear slyder that I took to a vet. The vet was honest and told me that she has never treated a slyder and will need to study up on them first. She was honest, and I felt more comfortable knowing she was honest. The problem with owning exotics is reptile and exotic vets are few and far between. But that has not stopped me yet.

Sorry I started to ramble. Anyways I hope you have good news when you come back and post the vets findings...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How much longer do you anticipate her to be in brumation, not much longer? She should come out pretty soon I would think as most only do 4-5 months on average.
How does she look?
I agree, you really can't assume cancer with no blood work, unless she had a visible tumor or something exhibited.
Which UVB do you use, a fluorescent tube or a compact/coil light? How old is the bulb?
How often do you give calcium supplementation for her? Has she ever laid infertile eggs?
Some pictures would be great, if you have any just to see her overall assessment/physical condition.
You could get a blood test, x-rays & a fecal to have a full assessment of her.

Thanks.
Tracie

GunRack

Original Poster
Drache613":1cztyowc said:
Hello,

How much longer do you anticipate her to be in brumation, not much longer? She should come out pretty soon I would think as most only do 4-5 months on average.
How does she look?
I agree, you really can't assume cancer with no blood work, unless she had a visible tumor or something exhibited.
Which UVB do you use, a fluorescent tube or a compact/coil light? How old is the bulb?
How often do you give calcium supplementation for her? Has she ever laid infertile eggs?
Some pictures would be great, if you have any just to see her overall assessment/physical condition.
You could get a blood test, x-rays & a fecal to have a full assessment of her.

Thanks.
Tracie

Thanks for the quick replies! She usually comes out end of July, so this is a little longer then I am confortable with, for sure. I took her outside earlier, and she really perked up in the sunshine. She seemed a bit drunk though, but I imagine thats due to the wack stage she is still in? she moved around, she was semi alert, my heart smiled :) I was standing in it too, just to make sure she didnt get too warm, she tried to poo, couldnt, as I was ready to get it. I give her a weekly bath (warm but not hot) where she takes in and drinks indefinetely. She has never laid eggs, I supplement mixed in her veggies. the reptisun 10.0 was only a few months old, but i replaced the bulb and the fixture today after our little outting outside. I also managed to get some jump start in her, she actually was licking at the syringe which was nice. I took some videos, but I will upload some pictures.

I appreciate everyone help! I know my girl is getting up there, but this is just breaking my heart :(

GunRack

Original Poster
My beautiful girl before :

Pistol.jpg

And my kind of drunk/woosy college girl now:

pistol2.jpg

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Are her eyes always kind of puffed out like that? I hope you find out whatever is ailling your girl, and that it is healable. Wishing her well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would definitely get a blood test done on her to see what could be going on inside. It is hard to tell just by looking.
Do her eyes bulge out often? That can be indicative or renal or heart issues.
How is she doing tonight?

Tracie

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
zackbeardieowner":1onnunjs said:
wow what happened get her to a vet or something

I'm assuming you didn't read the thread, he's been to multiple vets to try and find what's wrong with the poor animal :(

Maxwellsmomma1989

Hatchling Member
aw poor girl!, hope she comes out of it soon im always a paranoid momma when max hibernates i always lift his log to make sure he look up at me he only goes down from end of november to beggining of february and then takes about two weeks after he wakes up to gain his appetite back i hope its not kidney problems and that maybe shes just getting older and needs a longer brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom