Older beard 11+ sleeping more often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetMoggy

Hatchling Member
Hi folks, this questions is mostly directed to people who have experience with older bearded dragon, my guy is at least 11yrs. possibly older. I've noticed even with record highs, and humid days, he is sleeping more and more during the summer. He had his usual burmation over January-March this year, but he really seems to be slowing down.
Still poops, although less often, and still eats, although I've cut back his protein intake and increased greens.
He still sheds from time to time in small spots. And when he is awake he basks, I don't see any change in attitude, doesn't act sick.
Is this just old age setting in?
Geriatric beardie?
:)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is older than 11 possibly?
It is possible he could be just slowing down due to age, that will happen.
How old is his UVB light & which type do you have? What supplementations are you giving him?
Even at his age, he still needs calcium several times a week to help maintain his bones.
How many feeders does he normally eat weekly?
Post some pictures of him if you can for us.

Tracie

StreetMoggy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have repti sun 10 for him and I change the light twice a year.
I do sprinkle calcium on his food still even though I have cut back on protine. He is still pretty healthy looking, he was jumping all over the place when I gave him a bath couple days ago. I just haven't met a whole of of people with older beardies to discuss normal aging.
He is strong when he is active, but he tends to sleep more days than awake. Like maybe 4 out of 7 days a week he sleeps.
I'll get a recent pic tomorrow and post if I can

StreetMoggy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":75g0w9zd said:
Hello,

He is older than 11 possibly?
It is possible he could be just slowing down due to age, that will happen.
How old is his UVB light & which type do you have? What supplementations are you giving him?
Even at his age, he still needs calcium several times a week to help maintain his bones.
How many feeders does he normally eat weekly?
Post some pictures of him if you can for us.

Tracie

He is awake this morning, basking. Sometimes he will only come out in the morning, and then go back to sleep after 1pm

here is the pic
59662-9108885894.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a beauty & looks great for 11 plus years of age. :D
So he was up & basking the other day, but still went to bed early? It sounds like he is definitely semi-brumating anyway. He doesn't seem to have any problems running or climbing?
Are you using the long tube bulb, correct of the Reptisun 10? How close is it to him?
How much greens does he actually eat? It is ok to cut back some on his protein, but be sure he is still getting adequate nutrition. I would say 30 insects per week would be good to aim for.
You could consider getting some powdered critical care as a food supplement to give to him a couple of times per week to see if that helps out his energy.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

StreetMoggy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":el2m8l7l said:
Hello,

He is a beauty & looks great for 11 plus years of age. :D
So he was up & basking the other day, but still went to bed early? It sounds like he is definitely semi-brumating anyway. He doesn't seem to have any problems running or climbing?
Are you using the long tube bulb, correct of the Reptisun 10? How close is it to him?
How much greens does he actually eat? It is ok to cut back some on his protein, but be sure he is still getting adequate nutrition. I would say 30 insects per week would be good to aim for.
You could consider getting some powdered critical care as a food supplement to give to him a couple of times per week to see if that helps out his energy.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Yes reptisun 10 tube, I think it's about 13 inches above the bottom of tank. I've had this set up for years, and he has always been active and healthy. Heat lamp at one end reaches about 110 on a hot day, and cool end of tank in in 70's
He can still jump on his rock, and has really good mobility.

I have never heard of critical care product?

He gets a good mix of greens collards, dandelion, with a few leaf lettuces, endive or radicheo for color, and I give him whatever vegg I'm personally eating that day, carrots, peppers green beans ect...
His diet is colourful. I will start adding some extra protein and see if he comes out more often :) Thanks for the tips. I know he's getting on in age. I just want to make sure he's living his final years in comfort :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom