Old chicken baby food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
I want to cry. the tears are already coming. I fed my beardie today with baby foods. The chicken had not been opened long. I usuually use on squash but I thought she needed the extra protein. She lapped it right up, afterwards, I was getting more for our other bd and i noticed a bit of water on the bottom. I smelled it . It was not totally gross to smell but it did have a bit of old smell to it. I tasted it with my finger and it does not seem to be to bad but I am so worried about her now.
Should I turn off her lights so maybe she will get cool and thropw it up? I need your advice.

PS I have learned a very valuable lesson. I feel bad as it is. Now I just need some advice....

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
No. Definetly do not turn off her lights. If anything, the high temps will help her tummy feel better if it gets a bit upset. Just keep an eye on her- I'm sure she will be just fine. Like if a person eats a bit of moldy fruit, they might get a tummy ache, but it isn't life threatening.

Also, some meat based baby foods separate if they sit for a while. They are supposed to be stirred before they are served, so it may be natural. This does not mean it went bad. It's possible that the water and the meat content just separated. Don't beat yourself up. We all make mistakes occasionally. :D

Burra

Hatchling Member
Leave the lights on, it will help with digestion. You should always leave the lights on for at least 2 hours after feeding.

Next, I agree with previous poster. Baby food separates and needs to be mixed. If it didn't smell or taste rotten, and trust me you would know, it is fine.

Baby foods are good for sick dragons or to entice them to eat, but shouldn't be used as a staple. Well, the veggies are OK, but the meats shouldn't be a staple. Just FYI. An occasional treat is fine. :D

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I feel better already. I could not wait to hear a answer so i called Cheryl. i also had some questions about an order I have for he right now.
She said the same thing. I should not hav anything to worry about. She said like you I would know if it was bad or not.

I always leave the lights on and leave her in her tank for at least 2 hrs after eating. I was just thinking it may be good for her not to digest the food if it was bad. BUT I did not turn off the lights.LOl

She is on baby food since we have been battling parasites. She had coccidia and now we are on our 6 th dose of meds this Saturday for giardia. I am still seeing the cysts under the microscope.GGRRR

Thanks so much for all of your help. She is doing great.
I can sleep better tonight!!!

Burra

Hatchling Member
I feel you with battling parasites. We are battling mouth rot (I really think a cricket bit him) in a rescue for the 2 weeks we've had him. The antibiotics are making him lose his appetite, so we've been going with baby food as well.

Good luck and glad we could ease your worries! They are are babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom