Okay, so finally I have come up with a feeding schedule..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronni1123

Monday-Friday
Butterworms, and phoenix worms.
Sat-Sun
Greens
Vitamin supplement in water

He doesn't like the crix, and won't chase them. I also have gotten into not liking the fact that he hits his little nose against the glass when he tried to grabs then. That can't feel good.

I should be getting his butterworms today, and phoenix worms next week. :) Till then, the crix will have to do.

What do you think?

Ronni1123

Original Poster
Ronni1123":2lils554 said:
Monday-Friday
Butterworms, and phoenix worms.
Sat-Sun
Greens
Vitamin supplement in water

He doesn't like the crix, and won't chase them. I also have gotten into not liking the fact that he hits his little nose against the glass when he tried to grabs then. That can't feel good.

I should be getting his butterworms today, and phoenix worms next week. :) Till then, the crix will have to do.

What do you think?

Argg. Just got his butterworms, and they are HUGE.
It's hard to find things he will eat...

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
How old is your baby? If he is under a year he needs as many insects he can eat in 10 to 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day for 7 days. Then he needs greens offered to him daily in a dish. And calcium dusted 1 feeding a day for 5 days and vitamins 1 feeding a day for 2 days. I believe this is the proper schedule, at least it's the one I use for my Nim.

Also, how big are the butters exactly? They don't have to be the size of the space between the eyes because they are soft bodied. They can be a little bigger. But if they are bigger than his head, yeah, maybe they are too big. :D

Hope this helps.

Ronni1123

Original Poster
TheWerewolf":1drx9npq said:
How old is your baby? If he is under a year he needs as many insects he can eat in 10 to 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day for 7 days. Then he needs greens offered to him daily in a dish. And calcium dusted 1 feeding a day for 5 days and vitamins 1 feeding a day for 2 days. I believe this is the proper schedule, at least it's the one I use for my Nim.

Also, how big are the butters exactly? They don't have to be the size of the space between the eyes because they are soft bodied. They can be a little bigger. But if they are bigger than his head, yeah, maybe they are too big. :D

Hope this helps.

I swear, if some of these butterworms wanted to create an apocalypse.. they would. They are THAT big. Probably 1/2' wide, and 2' long.
He loved the small ones! Went up and ate them right away, BUT.. he only ate four, and I have read people telling me that their beardies eat 100+ insects a day!
Is my beardie just a goofy one, or is there something wrong? :(

(Thank you so much for your help. I'm at a loss)

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
My word, those are big butter worms. Where the heck did you order them from? Because if you specified a size and they gave you bigger than the size you asked for I wouldn't buy from them again. Just telling you. Maybe you could cut the poor larvae in half. But freeze them first so they'll be dead when you cut them in half. I'd hate it if they got cut in half alive.

Well, how big are the crickets you are feeding him? When did you get him? He could be going through relocation stress if you got him two weeks ago. Also, how old is he? If you don't know his age how long is he? Just measure from tip of nose to tip of tail. UVB lights can also be a problem of little eating, what are you using? If it is a ReptiSUN 10.0 tube bulb or Arcadia 12% tube bulb than you are perfectly fine. Parasites can also be a cause of loss of appetite. Are his droppings terribly smelly and runny? And lastly, lack of appetite could be because the basking temp isn't high enough. What are you using to measure the temps and what are they?

Sorry about all the questions. LOL, if these are correct than I guess he just isn't hungry. Hope this helps. And I am always happy to help. :D

Ronni1123

Original Poster
Well, today he has turned around incredibly.
I have a zilla 50 UVB fluorescent light.
He is 10" long, and growing fast!

I was shocked this morning, I fed him 25 crickets, and 5 butterworms. The most he has eaten in a long time! He just couldn't get enough. I think it was relocation stress.
The only problem with freezing the butterworms, is he only likes to eat food that moves. He won't eat his pellets, or greens. I'm starting to worry about him getting his green nutrition..

But his colors are bright, and he is getting bigger.

I give him baths in warm water everyday, just because he is shedding and he loves baths. I put his vitamin supplement in the water he bathes in, because he just won't drink the water in his viv.

Thanks so so much for all of your help. :D

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
You could change your UVB bulb. I already spoke about the two best ones. And just because you aren't seeing signs that the light is hurting him doesn't mean you won't ever. I had my Nim under a ReptiGLO for two months before I saw a difference in his behavior. I thought it was a ReptiSUN, they do have almost the same name. And him not eating greens or pellets doesn't exactly mean he won't eat moving things. Beardies are very intelligent and things don't have to move for them to know that it's food. Since he's 10 inches long he's still a baby. And most babies won't touch their greens. What you can do though is put some type of dressing on it. Like fruit baby food or juice. Or you could throw some worms in there so when he goes for them he'll get a little bite of green. These things I haven't tried myself because my Nim eats his greens. But these do work for other people.

And it's good that you give him baths. Beardies are desert creatures, so if they come upon standing water they won't drink it because it could be full of bacteria. You can just take the water dish out of his cage. All it does is build up the humidity.

I am always happy to help. And good luck. :D

Ronni1123

Original Poster
TheWerewolf":2cquo5x1 said:
You could change your UVB bulb. I already spoke about the two best ones. And just because you aren't seeing signs that the light is hurting him doesn't mean you won't ever. I had my Nim under a ReptiGLO for two months before I saw a difference in his behavior. I thought it was a ReptiSUN, they do have almost the same name. And him not eating greens or pellets doesn't exactly mean he won't eat moving things. Beardies are very intelligent and things don't have to move for them to know that it's food. Since he's 10 inches long he's still a baby. And most babies won't touch their greens. What you can do though is put some type of dressing on it. Like fruit baby food or juice. Or you could throw some worms in there so when he goes for them he'll get a little bite of green. These things I haven't tried myself because my Nim eats his greens. But these do work for other people.

And it's good that you give him baths. Beardies are desert creatures, so if they come upon standing water they won't drink it because it could be full of bacteria. You can just take the water dish out of his cage. All it does is build up the humidity.

I am always happy to help. And good luck. :D

The UVB bulb seems to be working just fine.. I don't really see a reason to change it. Unless it's really something that needs to be done.

His eyes are bright and clear, and I don't see any signs of burning. He lays right in the light. He closes his eyes, and stretches out.

He is pooing everyday, that that couldn't be a problem.
Maybe I was just overreacting...

rafa2k

Hatchling Member
TheWerewolf":fz3g57b1 said:

Hope this helps.

so hatchlings eat live insects all 3 meals every day? Also what vitamins are you feeding? I'm a newby and I keep seeing that vitamins are being used but I can't seem to find which vitamins.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
rafa2k":3er2ibjg said:
so hatchlings eat live insects all 3 meals every day? Also what vitamins are you feeding? I'm a newby and I keep seeing that vitamins are being used but I can't seem to find which vitamins.

Yes, hatchlings need three meals a day and they all should contain live bugs. Another rule is don't feed anything bigger than the space between the dragon's eyes. Pardon me if I have already said that on this thread. And the multivitamin everybody uses is called HerptiVite. I couldn't find it in a pet store so I got it from an online pet store. And I'm always happy to help newbies. :D So have you got the baby or are you thinking of getting one?

rafa2k

Hatchling Member
Thanks Werewolf, I am actually getting one on Sat or Sunday depending on whether my dubias get here today or tomorrow. What would be a good worm to feed them when they're hatchlings?

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
rafa2k":l6iybzfz said:
What would be a good worm to feed them when they're hatchlings?

Any soft bodied worm. That includes, silkworms, butter worms and phoenix worms. Just don't give them meal worms. Those have too hard of a shell and can cause impaction. Oh, and here is a good feeding chart to follow. Anything green on this chart is a good staple. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Good luck on getting the new baby. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom