Ok to use a regular bulb instead of basking temporarily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Smauggie's basking bulb went out tonight, too late to get to a pet store to replace it (we don't have one nearby and our Walmart doesn't have any in stock). The soonest I can get one will be tomorrow evening, which means she won't have a basking bulb all day tomorrow. :( Can I put a regular house bulb in there temporarily? I don't want to hurt her eyes or anything else. Will she be okay without a basking bulb, even for just one day? Her temp on the warm side won't get above 85 without it.

Also, how long do basking bulbs usually last? We've only used this one for just over two months.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah a regular bulb will work (don't use one of those reveal type bulbs though). You could also use a halogen flood light which may be available at Walmart. Going a day without basking light isn't a huge deal. I would turn off the UVB though unless you can balance it out with a bright enough white bulb. When I used the reptile basking bulbs, I usually got 3-4 months out of them. I just switched to PAR 38 flood lights. They feel a lot sturdier but I can't really comment about their longevity yet.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The biggest bulb I have is a 40W. It's made by Sylvania, and it's called a "daylight" bulb, which means it has a light blue coating on it that is supposed to simulate natural sunlight. I don't know how well that works, but all my other bulbs are the swirly kind.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd avoid that. Can you provide some outside time for natural sunlight tomorrow? If not, as long as the house stays at a reasonable temperature, it shouldn't cause any damage to be without lights for a day. That said, if you have a 24hr store with a lighting section, it may be worth checking to see if they have a PAR38 halogen flood light at around 90w or so (more to keep you from worrying than the sake of Smaug)

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My a/c stays at 78 during the day (to save money), so she shouldn't be too cold. I work until 5, but my son usually puts her in one of the windows for an hour here and there. The high tomorrow is supposed to be "only" 87 (normally higher this time of year), but that's still pretty warm.

Note to self: I'm buying TWO bulbs, just to have back up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the "daylight" bulbs have the rare earth mineral Neodymium coating on the light. It can actually be hard on their eyes because it doesn't show true brightness to them. It blocks out the yellow hues.
As suggested, a PAR 38 basking light or a flood light is great to use or a regular household light bulb either one, would work.

Tracie

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Smauggie-girl is some angry this morning; she's very dark and looking at me like, "Hey! What gives?" I did not put the daylight bulb in - didn't want to risk hurting her pretty, little amber eyes. (She's such a cutie! Love that little girl! I had no idea how much personality BDs have or how attached I would wind up being to her!)

There's a small, locally-owned pet shop close to where I live, but it's open during the hours that I am at work. I'm going to call them when they open (around 10 - 10:30) and see if they have a basking bulb in stock. I'm *hoping* that my son can convince his grandmother to take him over there; she may do it if he asks. If not, like Cooper said, one day without it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm going to look into the Par38, though, for the future. At some point, I would like to either get her a bigger tank or make one myself. The tank we have now is 36" x 18" x 18", and opens at the top instead of in the front, which is a pain, because the lights rest up there. She is already 13", and I want her to be comfortable and able to turn around once she gets bigger. Anyway, that's a project for later.

Thanks for the advice! It's great to have a place to come to for info and advice from people who adore their little ones like I adore mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chriziz
Top Bottom